S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

dyno'd my 03 s2000

Old 09-18-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stock S2000 dyno'ed at 190whp later that day, so your number looks good, and the mid-range is as good as it gets.

Whoever street-tuned your car did an very good job.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i know charles...heehee sorry i didn;t know what stock s2000 dyno'd at that day..i only stayed for 1 dyno so now i know...i am happy with my results..thx dude
Old 09-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by s2kboy03,Sep 18 2004, 07:34 PM
ya i know charles...heehee sorry i didn;t know what stock s2000 dyno'd at that day..i only stayed for 1 dyno so now i know...i am happy with my results..thx dude
No problem.

Who did your VAFC tuning though? I only know that it was street tuned. Did someone from Bavaria do it?
Old 09-18-2004, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no it was actually ajr that did it...i dunno who..either ben/justin or calvin did it..i assuming justin since he supposely the vafc expert there...hey also whats your thoughts on spoon headers? deciding on headers for next mod
Old 09-18-2004, 06:40 PM

Spoon headers don't perform very well. It's good for peak numbers though so if that's what you want, go for it.

I personally have the Mugen, and it is a nice piece.

You could also try the Amuse, which is a Mugen copy but lighter with slightly different piping specs.

However, with your current graph, I honestly wouldn't expect much from a header.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 18 2004, 08:29 PM
Thats stock around stock #s but its normal, I mean MODs dont really add much to the s2k. Maybe at most 1-6hp with basic mods i/e/h etc. Dont sweat it man. good dyno.
I disagree with the number that you threw out there (ie. 1-6 hp), unless those numbers are for individual mods and not the full I/H/E combo. While I agree that NA mods don't do much on an F20C vs a lot of other cars out there, they do make a difference. My intake alone added 5-6hp peak, with gains as large as 10hp in a couple of places. Most of the header dynos don't show big gains on the top-end, but they make decent increases in mid-range torque. And, if you truly buy a performance-oriented exhaust, you can probably see another 6-15hp.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:56 AM

dynos lie and are variable sorry its true been the topic of sveral prominent magazines and forum topics. Not bashing but they are not to reliable within 10hp. I've seen plenty of intakes when dynoed added only 2-3 and exhuast which add 1-2 etc etc. THe s2k is not like the RSX o r turbo car most of the time you cannot get 10whp-15whp with some simple mods. If you like spending $1,000 to get 2-3hp all the power to you. That 2-3hp won't do crap if you don't know how to drive and going up against a better driver. That woulod be nice if we repsoneded to mods well but shit the s2k is maxed out from factory, besides a few light mods for me, I'm totally happy and I bet wed both be equal to 0-60 and 1/4mile, autocross given same drivers
Old 09-19-2004, 12:01 PM

I mean that dude spent probaly around $2k for his mods and he runs abotu stock #s.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 19 2004, 02:56 PM
dynos lie and are variable sorry its true been the topic of sveral prominent magazines and forum topics. Not bashing but they are not to reliable within 10hp. I've seen plenty of intakes when dynoed added only 2-3 and exhuast which add 1-2 etc etc. THe s2k is not like the RSX o r turbo car most of the time you cannot get 10whp-15whp with some simple mods. If you like spending $1,000 to get 2-3hp all the power to you. That 2-3hp won't do crap if you don't know how to drive and going up against a better driver. That woulod be nice if we repsoneded to mods well but shit the s2k is maxed out from factory, besides a few light mods for me, I'm totally happy and I bet wed both be equal to 0-60 and 1/4mile, autocross given same drivers
I shouldn't even reply to this, because it smells like you're just trying to stir the pot... but I'm gonna put in my comments, just so someone doesn't take your word as gospel.

1) Dynos don't lie. That doesn't mean that a dyno operator or car owner won't do things to skew his or her numbers. However, with a consistent operator and consistent conditions, a dyno will give the same numbers (within just a few hp) consistently. The problem is that most people don't take the time to account for all of the necessary factors when performing a dyno (like intake temps, oil temps, tire pressure if doing a roller dyno, etc).

2) You state that you can't get 10-15whp with simple mods, but that depends on your definition of simple. I made almost 15 peak hp just with an intake, cams (plus some minor headwork) & a VAFC. Added a header and exhaust to that, and I'd guess that I'm pushing around 30hp over stock, though I still need to hit the dyno to be sure.

3) You're talking about how 2-3hp won't do anything for you... but you have to remember that most mods for the S2000 aren't focused on high-end gains. They focus on making power where it's really useful... in the mid-range. For example, my cams only made about 5hp peak, but they made nearly 10hp in the mid-range. Same for the intake. So, with just a couple of mods, I was making 15-20lb/ft of torque more than a stock S2000 in the mid-range. Trust me, that makes a big difference. But you're right... none of this will help if you can't drive the car.

4) The S2000 is not maxed out from the factory. There is still room for improvement. It won't come cheaply, but it is there. Obviously, you'll never see the gains on an NA S2000 that you'd see on an FI one... but that's just a matter of physics.

5) As for the 0-60, 1/4 mile, and autocross times... I'm pretty sure my car would be faster than yours... given same drivers. And other than the cams, I only have mods that can be considered "simple bolt ons".
Old 09-19-2004, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by SilverKnight,Sep 19 2004, 12:56 PM

I mean that dude spent probaly around $2k for his mods and he runs abotu stock #s.
First of all, dynoes do not lie. One shouldn't compare different cars on different dynoes in different coditions operated by different people.

A stock S2000 dyno'ed 190 on the same day right afterwards. That is a significant difference if you ask me, not to mention the much better mid-range on this car compared to the stock. More importantly, the area under the curve has also increased significantly.

Quick Reply: dyno'd my 03 s2000