S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dyno Results: Spoon Sports Modifications

Old 05-28-2003, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's info like this that has made me very selective about what I will/won't replace on my car. As Mingster said, Spoon knows that we just don't understand their philosophy here in the states--and being an American I have no shame in admitting that I don't understand the "Blow a bunch of money for an overall power loss" philosophy. I understand that Spoon develops parts for race-cars, but we all know that if Spoon was only selling parts to Japanese racers, the company would be defunct. It's guys who buy parts for the street who keep companies like Mugen and Spoon going.

With that said, if you're looking for power gains, go FI. The philosophy may not be erudite, but the power gains are nonetheless NEVER misunderstood street or track.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and by the way, if it wasn't for this board and the members who post their feedback (objective or subjective) on this forum, a lot of us would have otherwise wasted money on mods that may not have met our needs.

If you've gotten more out of s2ki than they've gotten out of you, consider becoming a member. This board has saved me at least a grand.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i also agree that this board helped me save a lot of money . im just going to wait for a super/turbo charger setup that gives REAL gains. most boltons just make a lot of noise and give that "bling" factor. no thanks.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SECRET AP1
[B]To replace certain parts that are already tweaked to perform with this F20C1 without understanding what you're buying is just another way of throwing away your money. If it's sound, looks, or the "I'm all Spoon, all Mugen, or all *insert brand name here*" philosophy that has you modding your car, then you should be happy with most of the products available out there. Mix and match as you please.
But when it comes down to developing a formula for improving the power output of the F20C1, you definately need a gameplan. The S2000 is no Civic or WRX. It doesn't have a highly restrictive intake, a cast iron header, a hand-me-down restrictive cat (or cats), or a hand-me-down exhaust system. Naturally, if you replace the already well designed cat, header, and exhaust with some parts that is "free flowing," you really cannot assume that it's going to lead to gains.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:15 AM

Ah, the Zen effect of Spoon. You have certainly been Spoon fed.
For those of you with little historical perspective, in 1974 we tweaked our N/A racing motors to 100 hp/liter on 104 octane gas, and that was about all you could get. With the advent of the new ecu's and attendant improvements in piston design and roller cams these new numbers are amazing. The factories don't just tune for warranty anymore. A bluprinted race engine was always more reliable on the street before; now it is just available from the factory. And, Honda does charge a lot for the car, that helps with warrranty claims. I doubt it costs more to make an S than an Accord, recouping R@D with limited sales numbers is why the price is where it is. The comments about forced induction are right on the money. If you can't gain 30 hp from aftermarket mods you aren'[t getting value. And it doesn't appear that it has been done yet. The ultimate truth is that there is no replacement for displacement. Have fun out there!
Old 05-29-2003, 06:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sideways
[B]....but I was running the factory intake (it was run with an IDI snorkle[no possible help on the dyno] and JR filter) and totally factory exhaust.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:56 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Prolene,
Oops, I thought you had an aftermarket intake.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:45 PM

your a/f ratio seems to be on the "too" rich side.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by robin2race,May 15 2006, 05:45 PM
your a/f ratio seems to be on the "too" rich side.
But this thread is from 3 years ago.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by S2KenC,May 15 2006, 05:06 PM
But this thread is from 3 years ago.
Wow. talk about back from the dead

If this guys still around I would suggest he race other S2k's from rolls to see how well his car pulls on others at speed. I say a roll instead of a dig because it becomes more about the car and less about the driver. Even if they dont start at the same time (somebody jumps) it oughtta tell you some and is free unlike the dyno. Unless the popo get ya

Quick Reply: Dyno Results: Spoon Sports Modifications