S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dyno Results: Spoon Sports Modifications

Old 05-27-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP/TQ is only one variable in the equation....
One question that hasn't surfaced with this whole thing - How much weight did you shave off stock? my guess is not a "heck of a lot", but perhaps 60 lb?? You must have gained something on the dyno with the wheel/tire setup alone

To UL's point on alignment above:
Please note: I'm sporting 0.09 Total Toe-in in the rear v. your 0.50 and
-1.6 degrees of camber vs. your -2.5
(I've got comprable wheels as yours)

see my dyno here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=124832
Old 05-27-2003, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to a dyno next month, should be interesting what numbers I get.

Chris C.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:54 AM

I was just hoping that this would put me around the 210whp area. I thought the ECU would bring up the mid-range where the exhaust manifold is obviously killing me.

I realize that my new alignment settings do bring down my numbers ...but it still doesn't merit the loss in the mid-range that I am seeing.

I assumed that since all the products were made by the same manufacturer that they would work well w/ each other - which is obviously not the case in this situation. Like I said earlier, I am not trying to downgrade Spoon Sports, I'm just sharing the results that I have personally seen.

I also realize that the difference in the days (as far as correction factor) are not in my favor - but this was the best I was able to do and I tried to be detailed as possible.

My main gripe is the loss in the mid-range ...because that is what is needed from a roadcourse point of view, which I had assumed Spoon Sports would really hit this area (mid-range power) since they work w/ so many different racing programs. I guess my expectations were wrong.

Also - concerning the air intake duct - I had a blower aimed at it during all my runs (wind speed approx. 40mph) so I did have a source of incoming air.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:24 AM

Hey Chris,
Sorry to hear about the lackluster performance.
A few things I've notived on my car were:
Taking out the baffles in the airbox increased hp and torque figures.
Adding a Speed(Spoon) throttle body increased hp by about 4hp.
Replacing the CAT w/ a Spoon test pipe, however, DECREASED hp and torque everywhere.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:56 PM

Did it ever occur to anyone that the factory engineers might have pretty much milked all they could from the engine? BMW did with the Z8. Drive it and love it. Like I've said before; When the green flag drops.....
Old 05-28-2003, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by chipperman
Did it ever occur to anyone that the factory engineers might have pretty much milked all they could from the engine? BMW did with the Z8. Drive it and love it. Like I've said before; When the green flag drops.....
they probably milked nearly all they could out of it to offer a 3 yr warranty, have it run as well in canada as it does in Pheonix, and be able to take some idiots putting 87 octane fuel in it; but no, they didn't milk all they could from it.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope....other people with slightly different mods have shown relatively more gains than what is shown above.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by speeeding
[B]Hey Chris,
Old 05-28-2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by speeeding
Taking out the baffles in the airbox increased hp and torque figures.
I havn't taken out the baffle out completely, but did enlarge the partition opening. I am trying to keep the first compartment to hold water and debris, and to keep the air from swirling before the filter, and more like a stream of air flow, albeit a somewhat larger stream. Whether the latter idea is valid or really works, I really don't know.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder how much of an effect the difference in tire pressure had on the two runs. On the baseline run, it was 35 psi....on the run with all the Spoon mods, it was 32 psi. I don't know if the increase in rolling resistance is substantial, but at the very least it's a factor.

Quick Reply: Dyno Results: Spoon Sports Modifications