S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dual Remote Bypass & Prelube Pump

Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Dual Remote Bypass & Prelube Pump

I plan on keeping my
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You may well have the first S2k into the 500,000 mile mark. Good luck, and albeit a bit more involved for my tastes, still a clean way to look and run our engines. Great job!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice!
Have you opend up an old by-pass filter to see how much it caught?

IMO using a quality syn oil as thin as possible when cold (0W is the lowest available AFAIK) while maintaining viscosity (in the case of my F20C2 SAE 30) and lubrication properties at operating temp (API-SL/SM or ACEA A5/B5) is a first and a very important step in engine maintenance.

Your setup, with the pre-lube at (or rather before) startup, is something to wish for, especially with the high revs at a cold start.
Old 11-09-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice details, thanks for the write up.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:58 AM

Nice work. I have been looking at the Accusump by Canton or Moroso. The accusump will do the same pre-lube function, plus it will instantly restore oil pressure when the oil pump momentarily cavitates any time the engine is running.

How are you controlling the pump? Manual ON/OFF switch? Ignition key to activate it and a delay timer or RPM switch to deactivate?

I would consider the following the best control plan. This is how I have done lube oil systems on large industrial skids with recip engines, gas and steam turbines, etc.-powered prime movers into the thousands of HP. They normally have an engine driven oil pump, augmented by an emergency electric pump(s).

Make the electric pump automatically run when key is moved to ON, then automatically turn OFF once you see enough oil pressure. You wouldn't want to use the stock low oil pressure switch, since it trips at too low a pressure. But you can get another pressure switch, with an adjustable setpoint even, to deactivate the electric pump. Just make sure that the contacts on the switch are rated to handle the amp draw of the electric motor, or else you will need to add an interposing relay to isolate the controls circuit from the pump motor. I would add a light in the cockpit to indicate when the electric pump is running.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the compliments!

SpitfireS: I have thought about dissecting the bypass filter, however I doubt that I'd find anything. When I feel the bypass filter after I've driven it a while, it is always hot. That tells me that oil is flowing through it. I have pulled apart TP media from another bypass system before, and I couldn't see anything - just a bunch of black, oil-soaked toilet paper.

Snakeeater: I'm controlling the pump with a toggle switch connected to a relay under the hood. I have purchased an interval timer to hook up to the ignition switch, however I haven't had the time to install it. But because the toggle switch works so well, I may never install it.

Make the electric pump automatically run when key is moved to ON, then automatically turn OFF once you see enough oil pressure. You wouldn't want to use the stock low oil pressure switch, since it trips at too low a pressure. But you can get another pressure switch, with an adjustable setpoint even, to deactivate the electric pump. Just make sure that the contacts on the switch are rated to handle the amp draw of the electric motor, or else you will need to add an interposing relay to isolate the controls circuit from the pump motor. I would add a light in the cockpit to indicate when the electric pump is running
That's the way I have it set up - with a relay, cockpit LED and high/low pressure switches built into the pump. But because the pump isn't rated for continuous use at high temps (IIRC, it's rated at 170F), I don't want to push my luck and just leave the switch on.

The Accusump and AMS-Oiler are great systems, however you can't prelube your system when you change your oil - a time when you need prelube the most - unless you leave the dirty oil in the unit.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44,Nov 9 2006, 01:47 PM
Snakeeater: I'm controlling the pump with a toggle switch connected to a relay under the hood. I have purchased an interval timer to hook up to the ignition switch, however I haven't had the time to install it. But because the toggle switch works so well, I may never install it.

That's the way I have it set up - with a relay, cockpit LED and high/low pressure switches built into the pump. But because the pump isn't rated for continuous use at high temps (IIRC, it's rated at 170F), I don't want to push my luck and just leave the switch on.
I don't understand your current control circuit or your proposed changes. If you had a pressure switch automatically activate/deactivate the pump it wouldn't run unless it was needed due to low oil pressure. Oil pressure switch should have a good deal of deadband to prevent rapid on/off cycling. Actually industrial controls would also have an HOA hand/off/auto switch.

+12VDC ----------- H HOA H----------------------------------------- LIGHT ---
ALWAYS HOT SWITCH | |
-----A A------------PRESSURE-----------------RELAY----
| SWITCH COIL |
12VDC -------- |
IGN KEY | ON |
|
-12VDC ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GROUND |
! NO !
+12VDC FUSE------------------ RELAY ------------------------------------- MOTOR ---
>MOTOR FLA CONTACT
Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM

Damn line text editor. Feels like 1980. F*(&^ d up my purty picture.

Anyways, if you'd like I could sketch it up for you.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:04 PM

what a neat idea! Great work, and thanks for the writeup. This might just be something I'll consider after the winter.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

anyone else do this?

i'm curious why if prelube has soooo much protection and upside, why car companies can't design this function for oem use.

Quick Reply: Dual Remote Bypass & Prelube Pump