S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DROPPED SOMETHING INTO MY TRANNY!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DROPPED SOMETHING INTO MY TRANNY!

I was trying to change my transmission fluid today in preparation for autox and i

drained it everything was fine but when i went to refill it the nozzle off the pump wasnt

on tight and fell in! i feel like the biggest idiot right now. i tried to get the grabbing tool

to get it out i cant feel it so i think its stuck up there somewhere i tried to fill it up and

drain it again but i still cant feel it. can someone tell me how to pull the transmission

apart in order to get it out. or if theres some other way to get it out

Well in the end it cost me a total of 517.00 to get everything excluding the cost of my flywheel i threw in. Lesson learned KEEP ALL TOOLS SECURED BEFORE USING ANYWHERE NEAR MY CAR.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

I did something similar like that when i was changing my tranmission fluid on my toyota a couple years ago. If it was a small item you could pump tranmission fluid with the drain hole off then stop to let it train and hope it moves toward the drain hole. I did what i just explain and was able pry it out after doing it a couple tries. But luck may have alot to do with it. Good luck hope this helps
Old 03-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

oh man!! that sucks. What is it made of, plastic?? Wow, pulling the tranny and cracking it open to get that out is going to suck. I almost want to say if it is plastic, not to worry about it, because odds are even if it gets into the gears it will be chewed to tiny pieces and end up comming out in the fluid. I would bet it won't even really get into the gears though, it may just sit on the bottom or kind of make its way to a corner of the tranny and just sit there forever. I would hate to tell you to do this and have it turn out bad, but I think that is what I would do.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
kix

maybe try opening both the filler hole and drain hole and use some compressed air to force it out?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
VAD

If it gets in the gears, you'd probably be ok. It may even melt and you'd be ok. It may block the oil pump in the trans and then you wouldn't be ok.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM

ouch! I am in the process of replacing all the bearings in my tranney....NOT FUN!! pulling that thing out means dropping the front subframe lots of fun stuff!!

ill e-mail u a guide!
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM

There is an oil pump in the tranny? I just thought there are oil guides and yeah, blocking those would not be the best thing, but the way they sit I think that would be difficult.

It could also get between the shift colars which could temporarily effect shifting, but I would think it would just get knocked lose.

IMO it really SHOULD not cause much of an issue if any, but that is just my opinon and with an issue like this I would hate to be wrong.

If it has quite a few miles on it you may just want to drop it, replace the clutch (atleast you are not completely wasting your time and $) and have someone crack it open and pull out the cap.

TJ01s, since you have your tranny apart any insight on where it would end up if it dropped straight down from the fill hole?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM

there IS in fact an oil pump inside!!!! i am still waiting on a replacement to arrive...it leads to a sprayer tube that showers the gears

the chingus is in the case prolly sitting right next to the gearshaft assy
Old 03-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by TJ01s,Mar 19 2009, 08:28 PM
there IS in fact an oil pump inside!!!! i am still waiting on a replacement to arrive...it leads to a sprayer tube that showers the gears

the chingus is in the case prolly sitting right next to the gearshaft assy
Wow, no shit!! Guess I learn something all of the time. I appologize for correcting you VAD, just took a quick look at the Helms and have really only had K-series trannies appart before.

TJ01s, could that thing get anywhere and do any damage, from where it is sitting now?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

yeah, s2k trans have a positive pressure oiling system consisting on an oil pump and such...

Quick Reply: DROPPED SOMETHING INTO MY TRANNY!