S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Droning from rear

Old 12-13-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Droning from rear

Over the last few weeks I have noticed a droning coming from what sounds to be the middle of the rear of the car (ie not near the wheels). This can only be described as a droning which gets louder the faster the car goes.

I took the car to my Honda garage last week in the UK and after a quick test drive the mechanic said it was probably either the bearing or the diff.

Before I book the car in for a potentially expensive set of diagnostics are there any hints or obvious questions I can ask? They have said they will flush the diff which will cost about 150 UK Sterling. If that isn't the problem they will look further.

As I am not getting any other noises and it sounds like it is coming from the middle, I am guessing that it is not the bearings.

Has anyone in the UK had to get a diff "fixed" and if so what is the approx cost? I am dreading a large bill.

I have had the car from new in 2000 and so far have had nothing more than a battery fail. Thanks a lot, Mark.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:36 PM

Are you talking Pounds Sterling? If so I think that's too high (equivalent to about $300 american dollars, which is pricey). A 'diff flush' is most likely the equivalent of emptying out the old fluid, filling the diff full with new fluid, and testing to see if the noise still remains. The fluid won't cost you more than 10 Pounds at your local auto parts store, labor to change the fluid is maybe 30 minutes worth of work. If you're just looking to get your diff fluid changed to see if that solves the noise issue, I'd take the car to a competent mechanic with a single bottle of 90w GL5 gear lube. Unless the dealer has some sort of "miracle flush" that they run through your diff I think you're being over charged. Unless 150 sterling is not the same as pounds sterling, in which case it might be a good deal.

The symptoms you describe do sound very much like a bad diff. Have you ever changed the fluid in the differential?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark Bridgett Posted on Dec 13 2006, 11:43 PM
I have had the car from new in 2000.....
Do you know if the axle nuts have been retorqued to the higher spec of 220lbf/ft?
If not then it still might be the wheel bearings IMO.
It's very hard to pinpoint the source of sounds in a moving car.

In the diff there are 4 bearings.
2 for the pinion gear and 2 for the LSD/ring gear unit.
If the 2 pinion bearings are worn then new oil won't fix it.
Your diff lasted this long so your dealer most likely used a proper diff fluid.
A diff oil flush for 150 pounds is... as mentioned by others, way to much IMO.
I would NOT drive the car with any other fluid in the diff then GL-5 gear oil.
SAE 90 or 75W-90, remember that SAE 90 is Honda's recommendation.
It is possible to see the ring gear through the diff drain hole.
You'll need a small flashlight.

Let us know what you/they find.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem so i change the diff oil ....

no more problem...
Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM

The sound of a bad wheel bearing will usually change as you change the load on the wheel by turning hard right or left.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Sorry for the very long delay before replying to the helpful posters! I was referring to 150 UK pounds. I delayed things for a few weeks as the car was about due for its 48k (ie 6 year) service and its MOT.

Although they did the service they said they didn't think it was the differential and gave some (bull?) about the gearbox and the noise "travelling". As the noise is still there with the car in neutral it is in my humble opinion, purely speed related and nothing to do with the gearbox.

Anyway, as they needed more time to investigate (and to change the spark plugs which have never been changed) it had to go back in on Monday. I haven't yet picked the car up but they have told me all they have done is put more oil in the diff and to see how I go. I haven't yet asked the question whether they drained the old oil out (I certainly hope so!) or what type of oil has been used. I will point out the Honda recommendation (thanks SpitfireS) and report back on the price they charged and more importantly if it has worked later in the week.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 AM

Well, I can't say the garage has done anything to improve the situation. When I picked the car up they said they had some spare "additive" but didn't specify what it was. They said to leave it a few weeks - which I have - but the problem is exactly the same as before. Next stop will probably be to see if Honda customer care can recommend anything - as I will have to go to a different garage - haven given my local one 3 attempts to fix it.
regards
Mark
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 AM

My mechanic diagnosed a similar sound as a diff at first, but he went through all the processes and discovered that it was bearing(s?) on the output shaft of the transmission. Not sure exactly what the steps were that isolated it to that, but he's a factory honda tech and an autocrossing friend, so he takes care of my car. Luckily, my extended warranty is gonna cover replacing the transmission, so my out of pocket expense is minor.

Good luck

Andrew
Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Well my turned out to be the bearing as well. I have no idea whether it was on the output shaft or not - it cost me

Quick Reply: Droning from rear