S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driving on ice feeling when on wet roads?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driving on ice feeling when on wet roads?

*UPDATE* Got an alignment, and it completely fixed the problem! I can actually drive in the rain now and not have fear im about to die. I still do have the popping noise in the rear end though. So im going to try and diagnose that here soon. Ill check the axle nuts like some of you have said. So now I know the popping doesnt have to do with the alignment.

Okay guys, lately I have been experiencing some weird behavior out of my S. I drive on the highway quite a bit, and I dont remember having a problem driving in the rain before. Now when I drive in the rain, or even after rain when the roads are wet, it feels like im driving on slick ice. I can barely go 35mph on the highway without feeling like im going to slide off the road. I know its not my tires b/c it started doing this on my ap1 wheels with good tires on it, and it still does it on my ap2v1's with the oem tires. It sorta seems like it started doing this after I put my lowering springs on, if that matters at all. It does okay on just normal roads around 40, but then when I hit blacktop parts of the road, it feels just like I drove onto ice and I have to stop or slow down fast because it starts just sliding side to side hard. So I almost cant even drive my car in the rain, or after rain now. Any opinions on what this could be?

I also posted before saying that my suspension in the rear pops loud when going up my driveway slow, or if im on a hill and have to give it some gas to get going up it, it pops. Still havent figured that out, but still looking into it. I dont know if this could also be something that has to do with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the popping sound is probably your rear strut. how many miles are on your car? i know a few cars that had have popping sounds and it was a rear strut. that might have something to do with it. sometimes they get extremely stiff and that pop is when they compress. i think when your driving your rear strut/struts arent compressing. just my .02 cents
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the reply man. I actually just replaced my rear struts when I put my springs on also. It really didnt do that when I first put them on, then got worse over time. Also the body/suspension has 90k. (but have new rear struts and the Tanabe springs on)
Old 06-27-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

What make/model are the "good tires" on your AP1 wheels, and what's the tread depth? What's the tread depth on your OEM RE050 tires?

What were your alignment settings before lowering springs, and after?

I can't really judge what your loud suspension popping deal is, but it sounds like it might be a hub nut torque or halfshaft issue, or something else related to torque applied to the driveline.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:17 AM

Well when I got my car it had some bf goodrich (forgot name), then I got all brand new fuzion hri tires all around, and I didnt have the rain problem then. I also had an alignment done when I got the car, but havent done one since the lowering springs, im not sure about the settings. I need to get that done though. I put the lowering springs on with the new struts, and didnt drive it in the rain until recently, and it started doing that. I then put the ap2v1's with some used oem tires but they did exactly what my fuzion tires did. They have about 50% in the rear left and 60-70% in the front on mine now. The popping wasnt there when I put the springs on, but then it started doing it once in a while, now it does it alot, even sometimes when im just taking off I can hear it pop once. I just went out there and made sure all my suspension componets were tighted up, and didnt find anything even a little loose. I also dont have any leaks.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because your car is lower, the camber of the wheel might be the problem. There is not enough tread on the road. Are the tires wearing more on the insides to about half of the tire? I may be wrong, but an old prelude I had did that. Just try to avoid the rain
Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Well I sold my ap1 wheels recently, but it was kinda weird b/c 1 tire had more wear then all the rest. (not just on the inside or outside) But I dont know which side it came off of. I had 4 rear ap1 rims with non directional tires, so I could rotate them, but I never did when I had them on since they were only on for about 6 months. I have to wait until I get paid on the 6th do schedule an alignment, but ill get one done as soon as I can to see if that helps with any of it. Also my s2k is my daily driver, and dont have another car. So avoiding rain and going to work and stuff is impossible.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Popping sound could be Axel nuts needing to be retorqued.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:38 AM

Popping sound could be Axel nuts needing to be retorqued.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah ill have to get that checked out. I dont have a torque wrench that goes that high, or that size socket. The popping doesnt bother me much right now, but im mainly concerned about the problem on wet roads.

Quick Reply: Driving on ice feeling when on wet roads?