S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Drivetrain Whine

Old 05-20-2005, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain Whine

Ok, I made a post a couple months ago inquiring about some oil looking fluid leaking at the transmission and the driveshaft and quickly it was opinted out that it was the seal. Ive noticed recently a high pitched whine coming once I get to 45 or so mph and Im fairly certain its getting more obnoxious as time goes by. Would a screwed seal on the driveshaft make that noise once its really shot? I dont THINK its the diff, the noise seems to be centrally located underneath the car, but its hard to tell since cant get out and listen when going 45 mph. Noise resembles that of a supercharger whine (I know, I hate noise threads too), its not loud yet. If the radio is turned up to even a low volume the noise is not noticed. Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:12 AM

Check the oil level if its still leaking, have a oil sample analysed. they can tell you what, if metal is wearing away.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:22 AM

Uhm, this may be a silly question, but have you checked the amount of fluid in the tranny? I mean, if the seal is loosing your fluid, you'll end up having to fill it or be running really low on tranny fluid and I imagine that could get the gears to whine.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Uhm, damn! I thought the seal itself was leaking fluids, not the tranny. Didnt bust out the Helms manual to see how that thing was assembled or what not. But that would do it I suppose... gonna go ahead and buy some tranny fluid anyways as its time to change out. And if I recall correctly arent there some bolts that I can check for tightness of the seal?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:18 AM

I need to get my s2k back on the road today, I went to Autozone and Oreillys parts stores... Autozone told me my transmission needs regular engine oil to put in the transmission (I kinda laughed, dont think thats right) so I left and went to Oreillys, they looked kinda lost so I didnt bother taking what they had. I would like to wait until tomorrow to get the GM Syncromesh FM but got to give parents car back today. I MIGHT be able to get some Redline at local PepBoys but thats 50-50. If they dont have any, is there any other alternate transmission fluid I can use?? Mobil 1.. anything?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See page 168 in the owner's manual:

"If Honda MTF is not available, you may use an API service SG, SH, or SG grade motor oil with a viscosity of SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 as a temporary replacement. An SG grade is preferred, but an SH or SJ grade may be used if SG is not available. However, motor oil does not contain the proper additives and continued use can cause stiffer shifting. Replace as soon as convenient."
Old 05-22-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you read the Oil Journals at the top of Technical?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dolemike,May 22 2005, 01:18 PM
I need to get my s2k back on the road today, I went to Autozone and Oreillys parts stores... Autozone told me my transmission needs regular engine oil to put in the transmission (I kinda laughed, dont think thats right) .
...Haha, I bet they were laughing back. You can use 10W30 motor oil for the transmission but not Synthetic motor oil (bad for syncros). Honda MTF is just a 10W30 motor oil with additional additives for the transmission.

Just use Honda MTF...if it shifts fine then why change it?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Should I completely drain the rest of the GM Syncromesh FM before adding the regular engine oil into it or would it help a little bit to keep the FM in there (I will be adding GM Syncromesh FM if I have to get regular oil therefor flushing it out anyways). I didnt know if I could use anything other than Honda MTF, GM Syncro- FM or Redline MT-90 since thats all Ive ever heard of being used in it.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolemike,May 22 2005, 12:21 PM
Should I completely drain the rest of the GM Syncromesh FM before adding the regular engine oil into it or would it help a little bit to keep the FM in there (I will be adding GM Syncromesh FM if I have to get regular oil therefor flushing it out anyways). I didnt know if I could use anything other than Honda MTF, GM Syncro- FM or Redline MT-90 since thats all Ive ever heard of being used in it.
I'm a little confused here. Is there fluid in there at the moment? If so, why not just leave it alone till you can do the change? I suspect you've left out some details?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Whine