S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

drivetrain noise help needed

Old 11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
Default drivetrain noise help needed

When I am in second and fourth and accelerating heavily I hear a clunk per revolution. Feels like a soft thud, Any ideas? I thought maybe pinion gear, but then why wouldn'tthe noise be present with each gear?
Old 11-06-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by turbojonn
When I am in second and fourth and accelerating heavily I hear a clunk per revolution. Feels like a soft thud, Any ideas? I thought maybe pinion gear, but then why wouldn'tthe noise be present with each gear?
sounds transmission related.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 AM
Member (Premium)

Just a follow up in case anyone searches the topic in the future. After reading a number of threads here I believe the noise is from worn inner bearing cups. Super cheap fix, about 3-4 hours, only supplies needed are a jack, standard tools, ball joint separator, paper towels, CV boot hose clamps and appropriate grease for repacking. You swap left to right and right to left so the worn area is no longer the contact patch for the tirangular spider gear

​​​​​​​If you're unclear just search the topic. This site FANTASTIC by the way!
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 AM

that wouldn't explain why it's only in 2nd and 4th gear.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM
Member (Premium)

A number of threads I read mentioned that they had the same problem and it only presented symptoms in some gears. Didn't make sense to me, but many have reported it.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:09 PM

A number of threads I read mentioned that they had the same problem and it only presented symptoms in some gears. Didn't make sense to me, but many have reported it.
can you link to those threads?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Member (Premium)

I'll take a look tonight and see if I can find them again. I was searching " inner bearing cups s2000" and found a ton of info. Of course...it is internet info, lol.
Since I first noticed this issue the vibration has shown up in 5th a liitle and I think I can feel it in 6th.
The car is lowered, which puts more stress on the cup/spider gear too. One fix was spacers, another was swapping the cups from one side to the other. My car has spacers and the cups are 600 for a pair. I want to pull it apart to see if the cups have already been swapped BEFORE I spend 600.00.
​​​​​​​The great thing about these cars is that if the cups are fine and it ends up being the tranny I can pick up an AP2 tranny all day long for 900.00. I saw one on an old thread (already sold) for 900 with 39 k miles, and it had the starter too.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

The CV pitting issue should get worse with speed and load, should not be related to gear at all. It should feel like it is thumping/shaking the whole car and only occur on acceleration. I've got a few videos on the issue and different solutions.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

worn inner bearing cups. Super cheap fix....only supplies needed are a jack, standard tools, ball joint separator, paper towels, CV boot hose clamps and appropriate grease for repacking. You swap left to right and right to left so the worn area is no longer the contact patch for the tirangular spider gear

If you're unclear just search the topic. This site FANTASTIC by the way!
Always re-use the Honda boot clamps. They are a superior design, perfect size, and can easily be released with pliers.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Thanks for the replies. I may have 2 issues going on, but inner cups is for sure one of them. The vibration is much more noticable with a passenger, which is another symptoms I read about. It's not bad at all, but I can tell it's there and it bugs me
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: drivetrain noise help needed