S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driveshaft Balancing Question

Old 04-05-2006, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft Balancing Question

This may be a really strange question, but does anyone know of a place I can ship my driveshaft to that could balance my driveshaft? I have a 2002 s2000 motor and tranny in my 1992 miata, and I had a machine shop make a driveshaft adapter from the driveshaft to the miata diff, and I think the combination of the two is off balance. Its perfectly fine until like 50 mph and then I get vibration. Then, above 60 mph, it smooths out to almost nothing.

Every shop here in SD says they can't balance it because it has the CV ends instead of the traditional U-joints. Anyone know of anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Since it's a motor swap car, I'd verify you don't have a transmission misaligned with the rear differential.

How are you locating the pinion of the diff? the Miata uses a "powerplant frame" that locates the diff to the back of the trans.

You may need a custom prop shaft with standard u- joint ends to make it all work.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 PM

I made a diff mount to set the angle, and the tranny should be centered correctly. The main thing im worried about is that the adapter isn't off balance. It was made out of one piece, so I would have thought it to be balanced. the only other thing I can think of is that the driveshaft was damaged in the accident when the s2k was wrecked. Its impossible to tell though because I can't have it balanced.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM

if you are desperate, i know a place out here in the midwest. driveshafts unlimited. i dont know if they can balance your driveshaft because i dont work for them. we use them for all our prop/driveshaft needs. they do evrything from cars to semi trucks.
if anyone has seen that one episode on discovery channel where the family of delorean drivers took a gt40 kit car and turned it into a monster truck, driveshafts unlimited made the driveshafts for it/them.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:08 PM

thanks a lot for the help. Do you have a website or phone number for them? Or should I just start searching for them?
Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by jeggy,Apr 5 2006, 05:19 PM
if you are desperate, i know a place out here in the midwest. driveshafts unlimited. i dont know if they can balance your driveshaft because i dont work for them. we use them for all our prop/driveshaft needs. they do evrything from cars to semi trucks.
if anyone has seen that one episode on discovery channel where the family of delorean drivers took a gt40 kit car and turned it into a monster truck, driveshafts unlimited made the driveshafts for it/them.
i remember that one... is that the same as the episode in 'myth busters' where they were trying to propel the car off the ground by releasing the shaft while the car was in motion?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kinside,Apr 5 2006, 04:45 PM
This may be a really strange question, but does anyone know of a place I can ship my driveshaft to that could balance my driveshaft? I have a 2002 s2000 motor and tranny in my 1992 miata, and I had a machine shop make a driveshaft adapter from the driveshaft to the miata diff, and I think the combination of the two is off balance. Its perfectly fine until like 50 mph and then I get vibration. Then, above 60 mph, it smooths out to almost nothing.

Every shop here in SD says they can't balance it because it has the CV ends instead of the traditional U-joints. Anyone know of anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks for the help!
Where is SD? San Diego? If so, call JE Reel Driveline in Pomona CA. Its not SD but he runs a full service shop so it might be worth the drive or the UPS charge to you. I've had a number of driveshafts built there and have been very satisfied.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 PM

yeah, im in San Diego. I've called all over and everyone is telling me that they don't have the "jig" to mount the driveshaft to the balancing machine. Im running out of options. They can;t make me one because the peice that mounts to the tranny is somthing that would have to be machined, and then when it comes time to balance it, we're back to the same problem of not having a way of balancing it.

wost case, i'll have a machine shop make me the jog to mount it to the machine, get the jig balanced, then balance the driveshaft. could get very expensive.. all because honda decided to get tricky with a special driveshaft
Old 04-06-2006, 04:19 PM

Give The Driveshaft Shop a call. I believe they can do it.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/
Old 04-06-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used this company for the driveline on my bronco

Drivelines Unlimited
6 McLaren St. Suite M
Irvine, CA 92618-2817 USA
phone: 800-963-7483

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Balancing Question