S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

driver side seat belt!!!! will my airbag still go off???

Old 01-03-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side seat belt!!!! will my airbag still go off???

i have brides and i have harnesses with them. i no longer have the oem belts in the car. so the little clip on the bottom of the seat that sets off the light when your belt is not clipped in is not attachted anymore. will that affect my airbag deployment at all? or does it not matter? thanks
Old 01-03-2004, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by BlueS2000Boy
i have brides and i have harnesses with them. i no longer have the oem belts in the car. so the little clip on the bottom of the seat that sets off the light when your belt is not clipped in is not attachted anymore. will that affect my airbag deployment at all? or does it not matter? thanks
I doubt this will effect your airbag deployment. I've worked in my local fire service for 20 years now and I can tell you that, unless the S2000 is different from the cars I've seen at accident scenes, the airbags will deploy whether the seat belts are fastened or not. It still amazes me the number of people on the road who refuse to buckle up!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:06 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I would say if the unplugged connector WAS a factor, it would trip the SRS light. I'd say you're ok.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FMVSS 208 (name for USDM car crash law) dictates that unbelted occupants of the vehicle should have a specified level of protection offered through advanced technology airbags. This means that the airbag will deploy, even if no 'latched seatbelt' signal is present.

Regards,

Siepel
Old 01-04-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Siepel
FMVSS 208 (name for USDM car crash law) dictates that unbelted occupants of the vehicle should have a specified level of protection offered through advanced technology airbags. This means that the airbag will deploy, even if no 'latched seatbelt' signal is present.

Regards,
Siepel
the belts are not even in the car anymore. so the little connector under the seat that sets of the unbuckled light is just sitting there not attached. i just wanted to make sure that the bag would still go off. althought i doubt my harnesses will let me move that far
Old 01-07-2004, 04:41 PM

Why dont you just jump the connector so the light is off and it thinks the belt is buckled. Its not too hard to do, just a little piece of wire.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlueS2000Boy
Old 01-08-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The plug under the seat has nothing to do with the airbag. It is the connection that allows actuation of the seatbelt warning light and chime.

I hope that you have installed the harness properly and have added a rollbar to go along with your harness. It is critical that the shoulder belt mount points are level or only slightly below the shoulder. Otherwise you can experience serious compression injury to your spine in the event of a frontal impact. The rollbar is necessary to protect your head in the event of a rollover. Please be safe!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
I hope that you have installed the harness properly and have added a rollbar to go along with your harness. It is critical that the shoulder belt mount points are level or only slightly below the shoulder. Otherwise you can experience serious compression injury to your spine in the event of a frontal impact. The rollbar is necessary to protect your head in the event of a rollover. Please be safe!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here or did you make a type? I would have thought that the shoulder belt mounting point should be at or slightly "above" the shoulder to prevent the kinds of compression injuries you're talking about here. Am I off base?

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In an open car it is considered acceptable to have the shoulder strap route backwards from the shoulder at up to a 15 degree angle downward. This helps keep the occupant in the car and does not substantively contribute to spinal compression in a frontal impact. If the shoulder strap leaves the shoulder at an upward angle, it does a less effective job at keeping the occupant in the seat in the event of a rollover.

The gross error that some people make when mounting harnesses in the S2000 is to wrap the shoulder strap over the shoulder and then down to the floor. This can lead to serious injury through spinal compression in the event of frontal impact, and is the main reason for my concern. I've also seen some people wrap the shoulder straps around the cosmetic plastic around the stock roll hoops. The plastic will crush if there's a severe frontal impact, resulting in excessive forward travel and greatly increased risk of injury.

Quick Reply: driver side seat belt!!!! will my airbag still go off???