S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driver side seat belt issues

Old 01-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the springs on these things ever"give up?" If so, does anyone think this could be what happened to me this fine afternoon?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 310 Likes on 149 Posts

There was a seat belt tensioner recall on MY00 cars to address this issue. Perhaps this car never had it done. Even if it did, this behavior indicates a defect -- take it to your dealer and tell 'em to fix it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mind like a steel trap. Good call. "Cept now that he's dismantled it, that recall might not be honoured.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to take it in to the dealer tomorrow or so. I haven't taken the tensioner apart. I have taken it off the roll hoop, but haven't loosened any of the torx screws. so, I hope that means the warranty will still be honored. PRAY FOR ME.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

If you connected the tensioner to power and ground, you deployed the retractor. (the only yellow connector) The seat belt is now a paper weight.

Just as an aside, never touch any yellow wiring in the car. It's for the Airbags. You'll be amazed what you can deploy with a meter and a jumper wire.

For the Belt to retract, the mechanism must be mounted or held in the same orientation that it is mounted in the car. Otherwise the inertia lock doesn't let the belt retract.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the dealer doesn't warranty it. There doesn't seem to be a defect in material, just a defect in the work done to it.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Well, mounted it up and no go. The mechanism that allows the belt to deploy is not cooperating. I'm still going to take it to the Honda dealer and play dumb to the service writer. "I just got in and it wasn't working anymore. I checked online and saw that this year had a recall. This has got to be it...."
Is there anyway that the retractor mechaism will allow this thing to work again???
Old 01-23-2005, 06:47 PM

Just bring it to the dealer...anything that happens to the belt...Honda will fix it for free...thats what i heard...due to safety issues.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:56 PM

You know, that makes sense as they don't need the bad press. You can see how much i've been writing here about this, just think how annoying I could be to Honda if I got hurt in a wreck or something.

On the off chance the dealer near me won't do it, does anyone know of a cheaper thatn $275, for OEM, way to get a retractor??? I have already gone to the EBAY and see there is a set at $25 right now that is closing in 5 days. I will keep my eye on it and bid like $75 or something in hopes I beat out all the others. Other than the EBAY, any suggestions?

I'm sort of new here and would like to thank everyone who has helped me with this.

Are there any people from AZ (PHX specifiacally) ever on this board???
Old 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM

Did you try posting in the AZ forum?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by xbigsexy23x,Jan 23 2005, 09:47 PM
Just bring it to the dealer...anything that happens to the belt...Honda will fix it for free...thats what i heard...due to safety issues.
They will not fix any problem with a belt. Seatbelts are covered under a lifetime warranty, as long ther is a defect in material/workmanship.

This belt didn't just "break" it had some help.

This is direct from the warranty information booklet included with every car:

Warranty Coverage
Honda will repair or replace, at its
option, any Honda seat belt
component that fails to function
properly during normal use. This
includes all parts and labor charges.
This Warranty Does Not Cover:

Quick Reply: Driver side seat belt issues