S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Driveline Vibration Help

Old 05-27-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveline Vibration Help

Alright, straight to the point. My S (MY01) has developed somewhat of a driveline vibration...out of nowhere. The vibration is only during acceleration or cornering, but when decelerating the vehicle is smooth as glass, no vibration...nothing. so just to clarify, get on the gas...vibration (in any gear, 6th being the worst @ highway speed). Even if i rev match a downshift it is smooth. I have change diff. fluid ( to inspect trash magnet) and the only thing i found was the typical shavings/sludge but the diff fluid looked almost brand new. I have also balanced the tires 3 times and none are out of round or off balance. I will be honest and say that the S does get driven like she should be, but not since the vibration started. I am asking for some pro. advice here, cause the only things that i think could be wrong i guess would be the driveshaft or...something else? So any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

derek
Old 05-27-2004, 06:36 AM

We had a guy in Houston who's S exhibited a similar vibration. I believe that Honda determined that it was his driveshaft.

I would have your dealership inspect it, if not just to rule it out.

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Also look into the 1/2 shafts (CV's) and hub nuts.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:12 AM

...ok, not to be a dick... but is there any way i can do this without getting a dealership involved? The 3 local dealerships and I have had problems on top of problems. Not to mention that the S is out of warranty. When checking the Half-Shafts and CV joints and also the hub nuts, what should i look for? I have never experienced this before so i am not quite sure what to look for. thanks

derek
Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by dereks2000
...ok, not to be a dick... but is there any way i can do this without getting a dealership involved? The 3 local dealerships and I have had problems on top of problems. Not to mention that the S is out of warranty. When checking the Half-Shafts and CV joints and also the hub nuts, what should i look for? I have never experienced this before so i am not quite sure what to look for. thanks

derek
The hub nuts, you can't really check without putting a torque wrench to them. You need to remove them, shove some grease in there and re-torque to spec. A Helm manual will tell you how.
As for the CVs, you would have to jack up the rear of the car, lock the rears wheels (ebrake) and have it in gear to minimize the movement. There is a certain acceptable amount of play and noise that you should have when you try to rotate the 1/2 shafts back and forth at differenct locations. What those noises and play should be cannot be described over the net. You have to have done this before to know what is normal and what is not. Sorry, that's the best I can do. Maybe someone else can put it in a more useful way for you.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 AM

Is there more vibration when you make left turns or right turns? Is it more apparent with full throttle cornering in a certain direction?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:43 AM

no, it is only worse the more i put my foot in it through a corner, regardless of right or left. Thank you. I have a buddy of mine who is a Tech at a Lexus dealership, I will tell him the input and see if he can help as well. thanks for the input thus far.

derek
Old 05-27-2004, 01:09 PM

Does it happen when turning in both directions, or only to the left/right?
Old 05-27-2004, 09:10 PM

Hey XVIPER remember I had the same problem.....changed the drivers side 1/2 shaft and everything was A-OK.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:26 PM

You too Allen? I think mine is history too Not like I only make hard right turns...I wonder what the cause is?

Quick Reply: Driveline Vibration Help