S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Drifting the car...any problems?

Old 03-08-2004, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been pratice drifting in the s for a couple years now and what i seem to notice about this car is...
1) it takes a little higer speed to make the car slide..
2) you have to counter steer quicker than usual so you dont go into a spinout...
3) i suggest if you want to try to drift your s2000, you should consider buying the drift bible dvd... it will def help you with the knowledge of drifting forsure...
* the #1and2 are comparison to my ae86...(its alot easier to drift the 86)
Old 03-08-2004, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an interesting pic of the underside of one of J's circuit cars.

Looks like they're rigged cooling for the diff oil. Hard to be sure from this one photo though - there are questions like where's the pump they'd need?

Food for thought anyway. When Nissan brought the R33 Skyline to the UK, they added differential and gearbox oil coolers. They were added for reliability given Nissan UK assumed European owners would be able to sustain high speed on the Auotbahn for example - which would overheat things without additional cooling.

-Brian.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:39 AM

The electric pump looks like it's under the rear diffuser somewhere since there are oil lines running back there.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by modifry
Interesting you should mention diff temps, as I just installed a thermometer on my diif this weekend.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:07 PM

i drift my S often. it has always been a big sport i loved. the one first peice of advice i would give is the same as PROFPin. BUY the best motoring drift bible. it will teach you a lot of things you need to know about drifting. i had already been drifting in many cars before i bought this video but it does give valuable tips. if your running a bone stock S don't bother trying. there are to many things working agaisnt you. for 1 unless your running a crazy allignment as in tons of camber your car is nt going to be controllable like you want. also the stock diff is NOT INTENDED FOR DRIFTING IN ANY SUCH WAY. i blew mine already from doing this i replaced it with the Cusco RS 2way. which is what you will find in every major drift car. if you really plan on getting into the sport and changing your diff, be prepaired to have your diff overhauled every 6 months if you drift say 3 days a week. also many people thing coming around a turn giving the car gas and doing a little countersteer is comparable to drifting. not in any sence. the S does not respond well to low speed drifts its does not have enough power and grips too hard. i have internals and gears and its still hard to pull a low speed drift meaning under vtec. usualy you end up spinning an the car begins to grip so you imediatly apply power which usualy ends with you facing the wrong way or doing a 360 and just spinning tires. you need to be doing high rpm runs to drift in the S. if you want to get a feel for the car and how it reacts under these conditions, go find a large parking lot, start to drive around throwing the wheel left and right slowly giving gas. the key is not to get the rear spinning and then just floor it and countersteer, a true drift is controlled with feathering the throttle. you need correct throttle responce . also when countersteering you will need to do a large amount to get a real controlled drift going, basicly get a 100% left or right lock meaning you will have to counter all the way till the wheel locks then slight adjustments with your hands if you understand. if you don't the rear end will just end up coming around on you. also don't carry to much speed. try first in say 1st gear at about 25 miles. its easy to break the rear out but not too fast so if your going to spin you won't go flying anywhere. there is a lot that goes into this. but basicly it can be done. just things need to be changed on the car. massive amounts of -camber need to be added. i am at 2.6 front and 2.8 rear. kills my tires but hey . i am going more now i am going 2.8 front and 3.0 rear. you should replace your diff, i would recomend a second set of rims with maybe a cheaper rubber on the rear not S02's so its a little easier to break loose so you can get a feel then work your way up to a stickier rubber and learn more controll. other than that have fun and be safe.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmarshall
Here's an interesting pic of the underside of one of J's circuit cars.

http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...eview/121853/6/
Old 03-08-2004, 06:57 PM

Drifiting can be touchy in the S2000 as someone stated earlier due to the looseness of the rear, however drifting is usually done in 1st or 2nd.

I'd imagine that the A-arm mounts would also undergo some serious amounts of stress if you continue to drift in an otherwise completely stock car. Most serious drifters take a lot of extra time beefing up all the parts related to the footwork in addition to increasing the power output to go after those awesome sideways drift action in the long straights.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:27 AM

S2KJones drifts in his car very well. He runs a rear sway bar and x-brace I believe and it is very controlled. I have seen him drift around an entire cul-de-sac well on video. It was awesome. I think he could answer some questions here. I don't believe he has replaced his differential.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm..... Kenchi Tsuchiyua even said the S2000 can't be properly drifted, nothing to do with power, just the car wants to make a turn and head a direction, it doesn't want to stay in a drift for a long enough period. I think if the Drift King gets out of an S2000 and says, you can't drift this car- that should say something.

I'm sure with proper suspension tuning geared specificially for drifting and a lot of research on our car, it could. But as of now it's not a drift car, although it is fun to kick out.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Yeah, I was confused by the first post and then some of the responses. My EXTREMELY limited experience with an S is that it is easy to low speed drift, meaning kicking out the tail very controllably around any corner you like. Especially when the tires are cold.

"Drifting" referring to the "sport" or competition of driving entire course without ever have the tires totally grip is another story. I would not do it in my car without beefing it up first. You could also make it easier with some junk wheels and a set of skinny tires like some of the competitors do.

Quick Reply: Drifting the car...any problems?