S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

That dreaded WHINE

Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question That dreaded WHINE

I have done a good bit of searching, listening and inspecting on my s2000. However I cant seem to chase down this whine I am having. I think we all know what it sounds like, that mechanical metal on metal noise that increases with speed. The noise is not rpm dependent as it does it in neutral with the clutch engaged or disengaged. It seems to depend on how fast the rear wheels are moving. The noise is constant not a clunk just a constant brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I took the car to honda and they told me it was the tranny, as it had dropped a bearing. They quoted me 4 grand to fix it. Yea right. So I took the car back and did my own research. The whine is coming from the rear of the car not the tranny. I put the car on the lift but could not replicate the noise. Driving around though it is very noticeable.

Last night I changed my diff fluid and it was clean. The magnetic drain plug did have a good bit of metal shavings around it however.

I guess I am just looking for guidance about what to do next. What else to check. I dont really want to buy a new diff if thats not the problem.

The car is a 2002 with 101,000 miles on it

Thank you s2ki
Paul
Old 07-13-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 1,396 Likes on 837 Posts

IF it is the trans bearing, the fix could be very easy. The tail shaft just unbolts from the trans, no need to pull the trans.

How big were the shavings? a nickel-thickness coat of black powder is normal. Big chucks are not.

Be careful....noises can be transmitted through the propshaft, and what appears to be a diff whine may be the trans.

Ever had the diff built? diff whine is not common on stock diffs.

Did you use a screwdriver as a stethescope and listen to in on a lift?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM

First off thanks for the response,

The shavings were not to large, just alot of them. There were no chunks.

I have heard that noise can be transmitted like you are talking about thats why I havent just bought another dif yet. I dont want to replace the wrong thing.

The Diff is stock as far as I know.

I didnt use a screwdriver as a stethoscope that is a good idea. If it is the tranny bearing where would be the best place to listen?

Also you say I can replace the bearing without pulling the tranny?? That is great news and would like to know more about it.

Thank you again for your help
Paul
Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Any chance it is the fuel pump? They can be noisy and louder in warm conditions. Does the noise decrease after sitting?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:23 AM

Hey Sideways,
I do not think its the fp as it does it with no load on the engine. For example I can drive on the interstate at 70 and hear the noise clear as day. I can take the car and put it and neutral and just coast at 70 and the noise is still there.

I have been doing some more searching however and found some more info on the bearing replacement. I will provide that link here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=691420

There is an in depth conversation about how to replace the bearing and the part numbers needed.

The problem they are describing is very similar to what I am having.

Thanks to billman250 for pointing this out. I would still like to hear from you on the removal of the rear part of the tranny. As to how difficult it is and so forth.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 AM

We had what sounds to be exactly the same problem with my daughter's stock MY01 at 97k miles. Turned out to be bad tranny bearings because the previous owner/dufus put gear lube in the tranny instead of Honda's MTF. Had to replace all bearings, not just the loudest one. If the wrong transmission fluid has been used, carefully inspect everything before you go to all the trouble and replace only one bearing.