S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dreaded misfire. Not the usual culprits...

Old 10-04-2016, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded misfire. Not the usual culprits...

Hi all,

Have had an issue with my S2K (UK AP1 2002 model) for a while now.

Car has done 75k miles, CAI, Decat and uprated exhaust. Rest is stock. Spent a few months stored on a driveway not doing a lot before it developed a misfire.

It started with an intermittent missfire, again when it was stored it missed for a few seconds when I ran It but then cleared. A couple of days later I moved the car to a unit and It was missing on what sounded like 1 cylinder. Fresh fuel etc never solved this. Next port of call was a full set of sparkplugs. Timing check, wiring loom check for the coils, ground on the head and others around the bay and so on. Miss got worse shortly after... It dropped onto 2 cylinders and was mega rough. I had a spare ecu and tried that. Problem still the same. Missing on 2 cylinders. I then checked cam sensors, knock sensor, again no change. This time bought a full set of coils. So it now has plugs which have done no miles, new aftermarket oem replacement coils. Fired the car up and it will only run on 3. Removing injector plugs show its on the cylinder nearest to the rad, front of engine. I then went back to basics and went to check the plugs. All the coils apart from the same one at the front came out no problem. The front coil upon removal came apart in my hand!! The whole thing had melted, so I dug the remains out and checked the plug (still tight) which appeared fine! I then stuck a spare coilpack on and it gets hot very quick.

Again regardless of what coil I put in there it missfires. Gets hot etc. Loom as far back as the bulkhead looks fine. Pins upon removal are fine. Timing is fine. Nothing I can see appears wrong. Is there an igniter or similar anywhere to check? Where the hell do I start looking?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The ignition drivers are likely in the ECU. Did you try the spare ECU with your new coils? No CEL?

Check to see if the coil connector pins (engine harness side) are shorted to one-another with a DVOM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what i thought. Straight to the ecu. And yeah swapped ecu over a few times and same issue