S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Dome light switch not working. Lights work

Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oyitzpreston
Has anyone had problems with the individual switches and the on switch not working the only on that works on mine is the door. Just did the DIY but only got the open door light to work
I have the same problem. Any thoughts guys?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this. Thanks to MP2k for the very clear instructions. A couple of things. Mine is a MY 2001 and the inside of the light didn't look exactly the same but it was of no consequence, the instructions worked perfectly. When lifting out the slider switch I did lose a ball bearing, they come out of the side of the switch and are spring loaded. If I were doing it again I'd do it over a tray to catch them. Also I recommend plastic upholstery tools so you don't damage your trim. At 10 bucks from amazon they'll save you scratching and denting the inside plastics on jobs like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...5722443&sr=1-1

Thanks again MP2k
Old 04-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiny Norman
I just did this. Thanks to MP2k for the very clear instructions. A couple of things. Mine is a MY 2001 and the inside of the light didn't look exactly the same but it was of no consequence, the instructions worked perfectly. When lifting out the slider switch I did lose a ball bearing, they come out of the side of the switch and are spring loaded. If I were doing it again I'd do it over a tray to catch them. Also I recommend plastic upholstery tools so you don't damage your trim. At 10 bucks from amazon they'll save you scratching and denting the inside plastics on jobs like this. http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumati...5722443&sr=1-1

Thanks again MP2k
I'm glad this has helped so many folks. I've been meaning to get some of those plastic pry tools for years now...I'll get around to ordering them eventually
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM

wow nice write up
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks great write up thumbs up
Old 01-19-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Great diy. I used the alcohol on a qtip method. It worked perfectly.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:33 PM
ado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MP2k
Pop the light cover off.

Remove the two gold screws on each side of the fixture.

There are two small clips at the front of the light to pop off, then the light fixture comes down.

Remove the electrical connector

Take the fixture inside and remove the two gold screws holding the white thing down.

This is what mine looked like. It kinda worked when it wanted to.

Remove the slide switch but BE CAREFUL, it's easy to lose the little ball bearing detent balls.

I cleaned mine up with a brass brush in my Dremel at the lowest speed.

Works great now.
This is exactly what I needed to fix my lights, THANK YOU!!! The entire process only required about 5 minutes.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM

Good stuff! mine stopped working two weeks ago. i never touched the sliding switch but something got into me and as soon as i touched it nothing came on!
after checking the fuse i looked up there. i took a look around s2ki to if there was anything special to removing the assembly - no there is not

i took it off, and was able to clean the contacts with a bit of ScotchBride* pad, that worked like a charm.

Thanks for the DIY
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Best DIY ever... Thanks. My switches weren't working and I cleaned it up with some 1000 grit sand paper. Works like a charm.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did mine. 70% Isopropyl (rubbing alchohol) cleaned the contacts completely. It appears to be flux residue and not corrosion. Been bugging me for years. Best 10 minutes I've spent on the car!

Thanks for the DIY!!

Utah

Quick Reply: Dome light switch not working. Lights work