S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Doing your own maintenance? VOID WARRANTEE?

Old 12-17-2001, 05:12 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Doing your own maintenance? VOID WARRANTEE?

I have a current issue going on with my car. I am on the leading edge of the milage for our cars. 40+K

I do my own fluid changes and such keeping the vitals of the car working properly. I have done all changes for severe conditions or sooner depending on what needed to be done.

Now if I go to Honda with a problem. They say what maintenance has been done? I say I did it myself. Are they gonna say GO F--K YOURSELF and your warrantee too!? If you go to a mechanic(non-honda) and get work done there does this give creedence to your warrantee?!? WHY! Just because they are a business does that mean they did it right? COME ON!!!

I am just currious on this issue because I bought a 100K warrantee and enjoy and trust myself to do the work CORRECTLY. Though if something happens I still want it warranteed if it IS a Honda issue!
Old 12-17-2001, 05:33 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you keep a log of the services and have the reciepts for the filters, oil, washers, etc. you should be ok.
Old 12-17-2001, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right. Print the forms here and fill them out for each service.

If they renig on your warranty (contract) the burden of proof is on them.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:25 AM

you never know what they will say until you go.
hehe
Old 12-27-2001, 11:32 AM

A friend of mine was refused extended warranty work on his car because he couldn't "prove" his maintenance records (wasn't an S2000 or even a Honda for that matter). If I were you I'd be sure to keep your recipts for your oil & filters to go along with your records.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What others have said. It has always been my understanding if you are using EOM filters and parts you are all set, as long as you document stuff and keep good records.
I have always bought Honda OEM filters and parts and I'm very anal so my records are complete. Fluids are about the only non OEM things my cars get.
And congrats on the 40k miles!!!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:05 PM

in my 15 year, 6 new cars experience, i never had to provide any proof of scheduled maintainance to obtain any warranty work. extended warranty companies are insurance companies trying to cheat people's money, it does not suprise me that they would ask for proof. its a good idea to keep all your receipt and records, but dont fret over a few missing links. most japanese car dealers are reasonable when it comes to warranty repair. i am sure some people had horrible experience with dealers, but over all, i think they are reasonable.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:27 PM

Scheduled maintenance is not required maintenance! You don't have to do it at all, but they still have to warranty the car unless they could prove that the problem was caused from neglect.

If you forget to fill the car with oil after a change and blow the motor, duh.

Otherwise, you are fine.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Highly unlikely you are going to have any issue. If you do, find another dealer.
Old 12-31-2001, 08:19 PM

besides, it didnt say anywhere that you have to do regular maintenece in order to get the 3/36000 warranty from Honda

Quick Reply: Doing your own maintenance? VOID WARRANTEE?