S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does a spoon transmission whine

Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a spoon transmission whine

I was wondering if the spoon transmission is supposed to whine.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 AM

wind? or whine?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

transmission whine is usually indicative of a bad bearing. I doubt they would have designed it to whine, but I've never seen much info on that transmission or heard much from anyone using it. I believe they take a stock tranny and swap out some internal parts but I still don't see the reason why it would whine. You might want to contact a Spoon dealer , Greg at gtmotoring.com might be helpful, or any other Spoon dealer.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
transmission whine is usually indicative of a bad bearing. I doubt they would have designed it to whine, but I've never seen much info on that transmission or heard much from anyone using it. I believe they take a stock tranny and swap out some internal parts but I still don't see the reason why it would whine. You might want to contact a Spoon dealer , Greg at gtmotoring.com might be helpful, or any other Spoon dealer.
If it has straight cut gears it will whine
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Cali 18- thanks its whine it was late and I was tired for the swap..

JFUSION- thanks for the response but what do you know what bearing it could be bc it whines one engine brake in lower rpm when I get to about 5k it stops. I put he innovate 85 tranny mount also when I swapped the tranny could it be this?

Here's some more info I bought this car did not redline and try to shift quick when I bough it was notchy to go in to some gears and if I shift fast at redline or even shift at ok doped it would grind from 2-3 bu if I let the rpm drop it wouldn't grind... My neighbor has a spoon motor and tranny sitting in his garage so I offered to buy the transmission... I swapped it in to the car not knowing whats in the transmission(straight cut gears) or what.. When I put the transmission on and was going to test drive it the clutch grabs near the bottom and the clutch pedal has kinda a lot of play.. For this do I adjust the clutch pedal or do I bleed the clutch some more? I'm going to try to bleed the clutch since Idk how to adjust the clutch pedal...

I just spoke with Gregg at gt motoring and he was saying that the tranny does not have straight cut gears it might just be that the tranny has to break in.. I checked over and over that I did put tranny fluid in and I filled it up till the fill hole..

Thanks for all the help...
Old 01-13-2012, 01:41 PM

There is a bearing that is splash lubed that is prone to failure on some trannys, I'm not sure of which bearing it is, but if you do a search you may find it. I'm not saying your tranny is definitely bad, but when a bearing fails it does make noise. Maybe do as Greg suggested and see if it continues or if it goes away.

Sorry but your reply was a bit difficult to understand, so are you only getting the noise on deceleration in lower rpms ? , if so it could be the infammous clutch buzz issue which is somewhat normal for some S2000's. If you are getting the noise in other driving conditions then it isn't the clutch issue. Maybe give us a better description of the noise and when it occurs and you might get some better advice.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:26 PM

JFUSION- yah it's only under deceleration and in rpms under 5k or so.. So if I made it difficult..and for the clutch buzz would the clutch buzz occur just bc I changed the tranny??? I left the same clutch that was in it and before I did the swap there was no whine.. And again thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by acivichb
JFUSION- yah it's only under deceleration and in rpms under 5k or so.. So if I made it difficult..and for the clutch buzz would the clutch buzz occur just bc I changed the tranny??? I left the same clutch that was in it and before I did the swap there was no whine.. And again thanks for the help
oh okay, well it's probably not a bearing issue then based on that description. It does sound like clutch buzz though, it may have been there before but since you added stiffer mounts it may now transmit through the chassis more now and be more noticeable. I think the stiffer mounts are just transmitting more noise and vibration through the vehicle. It's hard to diagnose things over the internet but that's my best guess. If you wanted to test it you could swap out the mounts and see if it changes again. Are you sure the noise is actually a whine type noise as opposed to a buzz or a vibration ?