S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does s2k need to be warmed up?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 seconds tops before driving, and a few minutes after 3 bars before redlining.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Best way to warm up the car = DRIVING!
That way you warm up everything: engine, trans, diff, tires.

Don't forget: when @ idle and in neutral (IOW not moving)= the trans oil pump doesn't run.
On a cold trans with thick oil all dripped down =

Drive To Warm Up!
DTWU

And what was the name of that cold rev limiter again......
Was that the "idiot rev limiter"?
Hmmm....

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM

why do some of you put so much emphasis on not revving past x rpms? When my car is cold, and I'm warming it up, I have to rev to ~5k for the 1-2 shift otherwise 2nd gear WANTS to grind. I use my right foot for throttle control so I'm not 'stomping on it' - in other words I drive it very slow and accelerate slowly and will wind 1st gear out til about 5k rpms and then shift to 2nd. If I don't, 2nd will grind, guranteed.

Bottom line: I think the throttle position should be emphasized in this situation moreso than what rpm you are at.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

uh..
Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneS2K,Jun 4 2007, 10:43 AM
why do some of you put so much emphasis on not revving past x rpms? When my car is cold, and I'm warming it up, I have to rev to ~5k for the 1-2 shift otherwise 2nd gear WANTS to grind. I use my right foot for throttle control so I'm not 'stomping on it' - in other words I drive it very slow and accelerate slowly and will wind 1st gear out til about 5k rpms and then shift to 2nd. If I don't, 2nd will grind, guranteed.

Bottom line: I think the throttle position should be emphasized in this situation moreso than what rpm you are at.
This is because your transmission (probably your synchros) is screwed up, and unrelated to a normal car. Odds are you're not shifting fast enough and the drop in rpms at the lower speeds is causing your grind. When you are at 5k rpms it has more distance to drop between gears than at 3k. Try experimenting with faster shifts. If you understand how your transmission works you will know that at any given rpm there is a way to time your shifting so that it is impossible for your transmission to grind into the next gear (perfect rev match). You wont even need to use your clutch, as hard as it is to believe.

One should always let the car get to standard operating temperature before engaging in vtec. Your temperature gauge measures your coolant/water temperature, not your oil temperature. Give it a few minutes (2-3 in the summer, 10 in the winter) to warm up once your temp gauge hits warm.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the link on where to find an s2k owner's manual. It was a few posts back. I just ordered mine.

Ry
represent 704
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneS2K,Jun 4 2007, 10:43 AM

Uhm, shouldn't be grinding, I could shift my cold car into 2nd all day long without grinding and not rev past 4000 (I try to keep it under 3000, but living on a hill, some days I have to rev it up more, but those days I sit there waiting for that second bar) although it is quite notchy. But that is for days when I'm in a rush to be somewhere, most days I take it easy on my gears. Perhaps you should try granny shifting, let the synchros work for you as opposed to jamming it into gear every shift.
People who have a tendency of shifting with a tight fist all day always complain about synchro problems. It is a Honda, but you still gotta take care of it. Baby it when you can so it'll perform when you need/want it to.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM

yea ive had that problem but just once when I was leavin home and got around 2bars and had to get on the interstate, forgot to shift before 6000k and it lagged a sec but I shifted right when I felt it. Just wait till you turbo it and have to let it sit for 3mins or so after drivin to let the turbo cool, its not fun but its always good to take care of a car if you plan on usin it in the future haha
Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kenn,Jun 1 2007, 09:14 PM
I gunned it when I hit the main street, right around the time I was supposed to hit VTEC, The car stuttered and died back to idle. This happened a couple times before, but only the 1st time I start the car up and drive it.

Is 30 seconds enough time to hit vtec? Or do I need to let the car warm up before I push it?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 AM

I give it three weeks at most before we see a "I downshifted into 2nd and over-reved the motor, what did I damage" thread

Quick Reply: Does s2k need to be warmed up?