S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does my air filter look okay?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by wwastrel,Dec 12 2010, 10:17 AM
thanks for your suggestion
but how do you know it is a K&N filter? I thought K&N filter is red and look like this

Well actuallyI think your's is a a generic size that was shoehorned onto the intake pipe, they just bought a size of filter that fits from general list of filter sizes produced by a manufacturer. It is not a S2000 specific filter like you show in the above picture. K&N filters start out red when they are clean as the oil is a red colour that aids in the treatment and cleaning process (so you know that you got the cloth covered properly with oil) and the filters darken up when dirty or dried out. There are also other cotton gauze types of filters out there that are made like K&N and some use a blue or green coloured oil, they are all likely made by K&N and re-branded other names, at the end of the day they are similar style of filters. Yours looks worse than the s2000 specific K&N filter, I would get rid of it if it was my car. I think your filter used a blue coloured oil instead of the traditional red oil. There are some cheaper rice named or no-named air filters sold by many performance shops that immitate the K&N style of filter - cotton gauze that is oil treated and serviceable - it is likley one of them if not specifically K&N.

I still prefer the factory oem filter, it has a good filtering media, and is well designed with a built-in air horn at the base of the filter. The s2000 oem filter has more filtering area than the two air filters used on a Dodge viper combined, so it is not lacking in filtering capacity, so why risk allowing more dirt into the engine using an aftermaket filter.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND... if you plan to stay stock, drive with the LID ON.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:28 PM

thank you for your helps and suggestion. I think im getting a k&n filter.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PWRMKR,Dec 12 2010, 02:10 AM
If you plan to stay stock, just get a new oem filter, and change it out every 30k or so, and you'll be good to go!
I'd say every 15k but thats for me, I live in cali where the air is super polluted.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that just looks like some cheapo filter you get on ebay or something. I would definely replace that thing, OEM filters will last a while, and do a good job with filtering. I use to have a K&N in my OEM airbox and it didn't make a difference at all. I just got it since it was easy to clean and put back in.

So either an OEM green, or a K&N filter would be fine.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Hi guys, I just came home with a new k&n air filter. a christmas gift for my S lol. I have one question....do i need to oil it if it is brand new?
thank you
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wwastrel,Dec 12 2010, 04:03 PM
Hi guys, I just came home with a new k&n air filter. a christmas gift for my S lol. I have one question....do i need to oil it if it is brand new?
thank you
Yes.Every new K&N filter I've seen needs to be charged with their 'red oil' before putting into operation.If your new filter looks white in color it hasn't been charged.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The K&N drop in filter for my TSX had a sticker on the plastic wrap saying it was pre-oiled. Dab a cotton swab on the mesh, if it picks up any red oil it's already oiled.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

yeah if it any shade of red or pink it is pre-oiled, if it is pure white cotton then it needs to be charged with their oil.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 PM

yes, my filter is red and pre-oiled.

I put my new filter in with the box cover, did a test drive, the sound gets deeper after 3K rpm. sounds good.

and now i took out the box cover and did the test drive again. I was like wooooowww, the sound gets more deeper and it is so damn good, im so in love my S now.

Thank all of you guys for the help !!

Quick Reply: Does my air filter look okay?