S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does Coolant Evaporate?

Old 12-29-2001, 10:15 PM
pll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Coolant Evaporate?

I just installed the Mugen thermostat yesterday. I noticed that there is some coolant on my garage floor but I am not sure if that is a leak or if it is left over from when I refilled my radiator.

I refilled the radiator according to the procedure in the Helm manual which says to run the engine with the radiator cap off. I did that and some coolant started overflowing from the radiator. There was still some left on the plastic cover which protects the bottom of the radiator. I wiped off the coolant that initallly fell to the floor.

I took the car out for a long drive today and I'm trying to determine if this coolant that I see is from the initial spill when I refilled the radiator or if it is from a leak. I'm pretty sure I tightened all of the bolts to the spec in the manual. Could it be that the coolant I see is the unevaporated glycol?
Old 12-29-2001, 10:20 PM

Very unlikely. Propylene glycol has a very high boiling point and a very low freezing point. Most likely it is spillage.

--Insano
Old 12-29-2001, 10:37 PM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaptain Insano
[B]Very unlikely.
Old 12-30-2001, 01:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gilcwong
[B]

So you think it's from my inital spill or from a leak?
Old 12-30-2001, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more tips:

- Clean up ALL residue off the radiator, housing, hoses, motor, etc... be sure to get everything off the splash shield and the bottom of the motor/tranny. Any that's left will stink for days and make it harder to smell/see a real leak.
- There are bleed valves at the intake manifold and the heater bypass- did you bleed these?
- Watch the level over 50 or 100 miles and be sure that the rad AND overflow stay full. Check both regularly and be sure the level does not drop.
- Coolant does not evaporate at room temperature (at least not more than water) but it will vaporize if left on a hot motor. Look for the characteristic "green" stain on the bottom of the motor/splash shield, coolant will run to the lowest/furthest place from the leak and leave a telltale trail.
- Be sure to run the heat some- get the heater bypass open a little. You need to be sure you get all the air out of the system... check the coolant level after a 100 miles or so, in both the rad and the overflow. Once properly filled, the level in both should not change.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:44 AM

If you also did the higher pressure radiator cap, you are also putting the rest of the system under higher stress - so make sure that the seals are not deformed and that anything that you removed is properly tightened.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:26 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Gilcwong, how high did you raise your car to be able to reach the thermostat from underneath? How long did it take you?
Old 12-30-2001, 10:06 AM
pll

Thanks marcucci. I'll try what you suggest. Yes, I bled the air but I could not get the coolant to flow out of those bleed points like the manual said. Can I just spray the radiator with some water to remove the coolant?

Sideways - I have some two ton jack stands and raised the car up to the third notch. My guess is that I raised the car at least 1 foot at the jack points. The front of the car probably had a two foot clearance. It was plenty of room for me to get under the car. The install took about 2 hours if you don't count the breaks and time I took to look for a 24mm socket
Old 12-30-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaptain Insano
[B]Very unlikely.
Old 12-30-2001, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gilcwong
[B]I just installed the Mugen thermostat yesterday.

Quick Reply: Does Coolant Evaporate?