S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does AP1 Have Bumpsteer on Coilovers at Stock Height?

Old 03-03-2022, 05:40 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
woah woah. I just responded to you one word comment.

I know what toe out does. I've driven before.

I'm not sure that its the right recommendation for the OP. Like...does he/she know what to expect from toe out, and is that good advice?

Your setup probably isn't "off the shelf", right? I'm gonna guess there is a little more to it than just a standard S2000 with OTS Ohlins DFV.

You also aren't stating HOW MUCH rear toe. Using enough to make an aero difference is probably gonna end badly, no?
I said that with the aero on our cars it's probably better to run toe IN. If you have a lot of aero on the car then you can run as high as -.4 degrees with little downside to handling at low speeds but a nice boost to the diffuser at medium to high speeds. What you lose in stability you make up for with more aero load from the floor. The toe out effect is even greater at the front because the airflow under the front of the car is faster than at the rear with a good splitter.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:15 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

According to your theory, there may be a teeeny tiny aero effect from running even something as MASSIVE as 0.4 deg of toe out.

The post regarding motorcycles is confusing, as...they only have 2 wheels.

But...why is this relevant info to the OP's question?

And what is "incorrect" about what I said? If some uninformed, regular person was to run enough toe out to create an aero effect on the street....they would crash. no?

And what is the benefit of aero affect on the street? Nothing.

It would also cause huge tire wear for no reason.

I don't see the relevance of your advice....
Old 03-03-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
According to your theory, there may be a teeeny tiny aero effect from running even something as MASSIVE as 0.4 deg of toe out.

The post regarding motorcycles is confusing, as...they only have 2 wheels.

But...why is this relevant info to the OP's question?

And what is "incorrect" about what I said? If some uninformed, regular person was to run enough toe out to create an aero effect on the street....they would crash. no?

And what is the benefit of aero affect on the street? Nothing.

It would also cause huge tire wear for no reason.

I don't see the relevance of your advice....
It's not tiny, half a degree of toe is nearly half an inch that the trailing edge of the wheel moves closer to the car. Stick your hand out the window and turn it half an inch, it's not insignificant because the surface area of the wheel/tire is greater than your hand.

It's not a theory, it's proven.

Motorcycles are affected more by yaw changes at the wheels because they have 2 wheels.

What you said is incorrect because it will not cause a crash. You assume it will and use a sock puppet to make a personal insult towards me because I disagree based on my real world experience.

It won't cause any more tire wear than using toe in of a similar amount.

I don't see the relevance of your dismissive attitude. In the end I said on this car with the aero the way it is, you're better off running toe in. I didn't tell OP to run toe out, I said toe out has an aero benefit.

You are a strange one, your own lack of reading comprehension is projected as my own lack of intelligence. Weak.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
It's not tiny, half a degree of toe is nearly half an inch that the trailing edge of the wheel moves closer to the car. Stick your hand out the window and turn it half an inch, it's not insignificant because the surface area of the wheel/tire is greater than your hand.

It's not a theory, it's proven.

Motorcycles are affected more by yaw changes at the wheels because they have 2 wheels.

What you said is incorrect because it will not cause a crash. You assume it will and use a sock puppet to make a personal insult towards me because I disagree based on my real world experience.

It won't cause any more tire wear than using toe in of a similar amount.

I don't see the relevance of your dismissive attitude. In the end I said on this car with the aero the way it is, you're better off running toe in. I didn't tell OP to run toe out, I said toe out has an aero benefit.

You are a strange one, your own lack of reading comprehension is projected as my own lack of intelligence. Weak.
lol...alright?

Read my post. Did I say 0.4 deg of toe is tiny? Or did I say its MASSIVE? #readingandcomprehension

Idk what you mean by sock puppet...and this whole thing has gone off the rails.

I duno if this thread has any value because idk if OP is getting anything out of this.

I'm not sure why we're talking about aero or any of the above since he just has a plain jane S2000 that he's trying to align.

He said he's already spun out before by lifting off. I don't think adding rear toe out to the equation is the right recommendation.

Last edited by B serious; 03-03-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a good kick from this thread I was an aerodynamics engineer, granted on turbine engines. Interesting to hear the nuances with vehicle aero. But yeah I don't think I'll be toe out anytime soon.