S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Does anyone installed aftermarket steering wheel for S2K???

Old 08-21-2001, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2K408-
If you tried the Civic wheel and the splines line up, then any Honda hub (for airbag vehicles) should work just fine. I know that airbag-equipped Civics, Accords, Preludes, and Integras all share the same diameter and spline count. The tricky part is in the cable reel, vehicles with steering input angle sensors (4WS, ATTS, possibly our electronic assist) have different mountings that require a slightly different hub. Most "universal" hubs mate up properly or can be modified slightly to work.

Back to the Civic, if the steering wheel works I'm almost certain a generic Honda hub will work fine (hubs are more universal than factory wheels). I'll bring a few more over and we can try them.

Once I get them over here in quantity I will be able to sell these for $125, shipped, anywhere in the continental US. They will work with all the major wheel manufacturers (MOMO, Nardi, Mugen, Sparco) and SAFELY defeat the airbag without giving an SRS warning light. These are very good quality, cast & machined aluminum with all the necessary hardware. They even come with a Honda-logoed horn button to fit MOMO and Mugen wheels.

Now that I have two volunteers, anyone else that wants these please wait- I'll post their availability here and in the For Sale group when we know they work fine. I'll also document the install process as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2001, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does placing an aftermarket steering wheel pretty much make the Airbags ineffective?

I'd really like to get an aftermarket steering wheel (momo), but I don't want to really risk my safety just for one.

Jaykkub
Old 08-23-2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Jaykkub
Does placing an aftermarket steering wheel pretty much make the Airbags ineffective?

I'd really like to get an aftermarket steering wheel (momo), but I don't want to really risk my safety just for one.

Jaykkub
Aftermarket steering wheels eliminate air-bags and are recommended for track use only with the combined safety equipment of a roll-cage and 4 or 5 point restraint.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:36 AM

don't forget spoon wheel with boss adapter
Old 08-26-2001, 09:17 PM

MARCUCCI YOU HAVE PM
Old 08-27-2001, 04:18 AM

For the record, a new steering wheel will eliminate the driver's airbag; passenger's airbag stays unless you take it out or disable the airbags via fuse.

Also, it's somewhat important to note that unless you bypass the airbag wiring on the driver's side you'll get a warning lamp. Bypassing requres the use of a high-wattage resistor or a resistor and fuse (not sure of the exact value). Good hub kits will come with this, as well as the connectors for it (so you don't have to splice anything).

I've got 5 hub adapters on the way right now. They'll be $125 shipped in the continental US via USPS Priority. Include everything you need above to properly defeat the airbag. I should have them in my hands in 4 weeks and have them delivered within a week of that. 3 are spoken for, the next two PM's go on the list for the other two

I'll bring in more if the demand is there. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2001, 12:50 PM

I purchase a Sparco Steering Wheels already and it has a horn on button it, will your HUB have wires for them???
Old 08-30-2001, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by s2k408
I purchase a Sparco Steering Wheels already and it has a horn on button it, will your HUB have wires for them???
Actually, the hub utilizes the factory wire for the horn (there's just one). The hub simply passes it through to the wheel. The only wiring it comes with is used for defeating the airbag.

In response to a PM, you will LOSE cruise control UNLESS you make provisions for it. While the hub does not provide a means to attach the buttons, it will allow you to pass that wiring through. You can either wire the cruise to accessoy buttons on your wheel OR you can mount the factory cruise switch assembly to the new hub or wheel.

When I get a chance to take some pics, I will try and document this for everyone.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:09 AM

Great News!

No only did I verify that a "regular" Honda hub adapter will work on our cars, I also documented the installation process. You can see it here:

http://www.s2000.org/mods/hub/

Again, I've verified that the hub adapter I'm bringing over DOES WORK. I've already sold the 5 I'm having shipped and WILL be bringing more over. Please PM me if you are interested, they will be $125 shipped in the US.

Thanks!

Todd
Old 10-24-2001, 05:44 AM

Does anybody know the weight of the airbags? I've heard 37 lbs each on my company Lexus, could the S2000's be over 70 lbs. combined as well?
The steering wheel bag is maybe 4-5 lbs. if that much.
I don't know about the pax side, haven't had it out yet, might want to check with some of the big stereo guys, some of them have had the whole dash out, down to the firewall!
I finally got my wheel changed and I love it!

-V

Quick Reply: Does anyone installed aftermarket steering wheel for S2K???