S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do I NEED To Start It Over The Winter?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then why would the manual recommend it?
Many people have been on either side of this issue but I tend to trust the guys that built the car.

I really don't know squat, but have to believe someone, probably the highest authority I can find.

If I am to believe anyone, I need facts and credentials.

Please carry on with this topic!

-jazzman
Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is necesary so the engine lubricates everything, If u don't wanna take it out for a ride u could put the tail on jack stands and run it like that... I personally would do it with rear tires off, but that's just me...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
i'm willing to bet that you did more damage in those 10-15 mins then you have done since owning that car, but hey it's you car.
Pretty bold statement for not backing it up with any details. Care to expand?

There are times I have to move the S2000 and I start the car, let it sit for 5 minutes, move it, turn it off. I guess I've been doing a lot of damage to my car by not driving it every time I move it?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 AM

I dont think any "damage" has been done. However probably just super super super minimal uncessary wear.

I believe people say "Dont start the car over the winter" are just trying to say its pointless to start the car and not drive it.
You are doing more harm then good.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hickey322
Originally Posted by s2000maniac' timestamp='1327502633' post='21350590
i'm willing to bet that you did more damage in those 10-15 mins then you have done since owning that car, but hey it's you car.

There are times I have to move the S2000 and I start the car, let it sit for 5 minutes, move it, turn it off. I guess I've been doing a lot of damage to my car by not driving it every time I move it?
I agree. I don't understand his statement.

If I start my car, let it run 5 minutes and turn if off, I do massive damage....
but if I start my car, let it run 5 minutes, and then drive 10 miles it's no big deal? Does driving the car 10 miles heal the damage?

For what it's worth, industrial pumps are supposed to be rotated regularly when in storage.
http://www.gouldspumps.com/download_...ic/VIC_IOM.pdf
http://www.fmctechnologies.com/en/Fl...M50001611.ashx
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1_Silverstone
It is necesary so the engine lubricates everything, If u don't wanna take it out for a ride u could put the tail on jack stands and run it like that... I personally would do it with rear tires off, but that's just me...
This is a bad idea. You'll ruin the diff.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by Hickey322' timestamp='1327509148' post='21350947
[quote name='s2000maniac' timestamp='1327502633' post='21350590']

I agree. I don't understand his statement.

If I start my car, let it run 5 minutes and turn if off, I do massive damage....
but if I start my car, let it run 5 minutes, and then drive 10 miles it's no big deal? Does driving the car 10 miles heal the damage?

For what it's worth, industrial pumps are supposed to be rotated regularly when in storage.
http://www.gouldspumps.com/download_...ic/VIC_IOM.pdf
http://www.fmctechnologies.com/en/Fl...M50001611.ashx
[/quote]

The problem is well documented.

Lack of starts, mean motor is dry of oil on it's next start.

Start it and idle means you get moisture in the system. If you drive it and get everything hot this is burned off.

You're better to jack it. On first start up it might idle rough but once everything gets flowing you're golden. Cats aren't cheap. Rings won't fail with 1 bad start/year.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a funny thread! Why would it possibly damage the car? I am original '01 owner that "stores" every winter. Did I mention I live inUtah? I start my car about once a month, roll her back into my plowed driveway, and listen too a few CD's. THE most important thing is to follow the manual AND use 5W-30. Note the 5 in 5W!. Starting in extreme cold with 10W which is what many run MAY cause premature wear. This is well known and is the reason the Manual says 5W-30. I usually change my own oil but can tell you 100 percent of the time Big-O puts 10W in when I carefully specify 5. After 10+ years of f'$;&@ ups and free re oil changes they have it down.

Utah

P.S. There are some VERY small orifices in the lubrication system (V-TEC solenoid is a classic).
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
The problem is well documented.

Lack of starts, mean motor is dry of oil on it's next start.

Start it and idle means you get moisture in the system. If you drive it and get everything hot this is burned off.

You're better to jack it. On first start up it might idle rough but once everything gets flowing you're golden. Cats aren't cheap. Rings won't fail with 1 bad start/year.
I agree that driving it for a longer period of time would be more likely to evaporate the moisture, but I don't know if 5 minutes or 10 minutes or whatever is enough. I'm uncertain how running it for five minutes would get more moisture in the system. Typically, the air is dry in the winter so there's less moisture in the air. Sitting in a garage with temperature cycling seems like a better place for condensation to form and moisture to get in.

Though moisture is a concern of mine with gasoline now that it has ethanol blended in it, I think either starting the engine or at least turning it by hand would be advisable to help keep things lubricated and prevent things like false brinelling which brings me to jack stands. I'm not sure why you would advise putting the car on jack stands. I've read that it's bad for the suspension and with the car resting directly on jack stands it will receiving more vibration from ground and make false brinelling a greater concern.

Overall, I don't think it matters that much either way. If the difference was huge, then it would be more obvious on the right way to do it.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by AP1_Silverstone' timestamp='1327508444' post='21350879
This is a bad idea. You'll ruin the diff.

Maybe that's why I never had any problems with several cars I owned before for the passed 10 yrs... I'd like to read an explanation how u damage ur diff by running it with no load over the winter if u don't mind

Quick Reply: Do I NEED To Start It Over The Winter?