S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do I need a new clutch? Need opinions

Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I need a new clutch? Need opinions

Okay so here is the case. I daily drive my s2000, and every morning going back and forth to work the clutch feels good. Sometimes when I drive a little distance (around 120 miles on the highway), the clutch feels like its slipping or something when I get into town. It feels like crap and it doesnt engage until the top of the pedal. Once cooled down, it feels okay again. Last night I was driving around with friends for a while and working the clutch alot, it starts doing that feeling again, then the car kinda idles weird. Overnight, it feels fine again.

So the main question is, am I due for a new clutch? I know quite a bit about this car, and have had stick cars before, but dont really know the feelings of them going out. So any help would be appreciated. If anyone needs more info on how the feeling is or anything i'll try my best to explain. Also, the fluid is always kept full.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

c'mon people i also need answers i'm feeling the same $h!3t with mine!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes u need a new clutch. The oem gets hot after long drives. All oem clutches are crap.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Alright thanks. So you dont think I should replace it with a new OEM? I daily drive mine and dont want to pay a crazy amount for a clutch, so what clutch would be DD friendly for a decent price?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM

the oem clutch on the s2000 is actually very good, far from crap
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah, I mean it did last 92k miles so i'll most likely get a new OEM one. Unless anyone has a suggestion for a good aftermarket clutch that is about OEM feel, and DD friendly for about the same price.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

95k miles of extreme abuse on my OEM clutch and it's still holding strong.....

How is it crap? I'd love to know.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:04 PM

the OEM is used on people that even have superchargers and a lot of power, that clutch it fine for daily driving, I am getting a new clutch soon and plan on getting the OEM, unless you plan on doing a lot of mods get the OEM, it will work best with your other stock parts. I had a stage 1 exedy in my honda prelude, and i still think the s2k OEM is more firm
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 PM

Yeah I agree, ill just get a new OEM one. I just have full bolt on's, and don't really plan on making huge power anytime soon, so it will be fine. Also, isnt the OEM pressure plate made by exedy?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM

btw suzuka blue, my clutch does the exact same thing, colder situations before the engine and tranny warms up it catches better, but it gets worse as driving goes on, i am going to have it adjusted first, before i go to get a new one, you can test if it is going too by putting your e-brake up in a parking lot, put the car in 4 and slowly accelerate pulling the clutch out slowly, and if the clutch is all the way out and the car has not stalled yet you need a new clutch, although i would not recommend doing this but once, for that makes the clutch hot

Quick Reply: Do I need a new clutch? Need opinions