S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do I need the air pump with my mods...PLEASE HELP!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need the air pump with my mods...PLEASE HELP!

Ok so I have the Invidia cat-back exhaust with test pipe on the car. Thats it nothing else. And when I turn the car on the idle will make a woooooow.......wooooow.....wooooow.....woooooow... ..imagine that as the exhaust tone as if its on a beat...Honda says its cause of my air pump being broken. Although I thought I didnt need the air pump? Or do I? Can someone please give me some help so I dont end up wasting my money to fix the broken air pump.

Justin
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the air pump. Sounds like a sensor issue to me. When does it go away??
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChefJ,Dec 17 2008, 08:51 PM
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the air pump. Sounds like a sensor issue to me. When does it go away??
When I start driving it goes away then when I idle it comes back, but sometimes it doesn't. And also when I first start the car and put the car in reverse or first letting off the clutch and adding a LITTLE bit of gas to it then my RPM's jump to like 3k?!?!?!?!

WTF?!?!?!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TPS ??
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM

If it is this? What do you think I should do about it...I have a brand new engine in the car so ill be pissed if something is broken.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Bump
Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 PM

72 views an only 2 reply's? I appreciate ChefJ for answering me, doesn't someone else have any other advice as well? Im sure that im not the only one this has happened to....

And I have used the search button
Old 12-18-2008, 07:30 PM

i had a bad tps and it didnt sound like your symptoms. are you letting your car warm up properly? when i start mine, it high idles at like 2k for a minute or two then goes down to 900ish.

How old is your engine? has your ECU had time to learn itself or perhaps it had a bad learn? try resetting your ECU also and do a proper ECU learn. TPS will be a bi*ch to replace as you have to buy a new throttle body to replace it.

Also make sure your throttle cable isnt too tight. that might be the problem for the little gas high rpm thing.

for the airpump question...

air pump is not needed in the car for it to run normally. it is used only for like 30 seconds when you first start it. its an emissions thing. if you take it out, you will have a cel though. car wont go into limp mode either cause its an emissions piece. if you have the cel on, you wont know if there is anything else wrong with the car though. search around, you can find it for about 100 bucks here or on ebay. a bad airpump will also throw a cel
Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 PM

thanks scarface. i do let the car warm up properly and the engine is brand new. Every part of the engine is brand new. I will check on the throttle cable and resetting the ECU.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Unless your car has an aftermarket EMS the Air pump is required.

Quick Reply: Do I need the air pump with my mods...PLEASE HELP!