S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do Any Mods Really Do That Much Good?

Old 08-03-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i personally am not going to waste my money of n/a mods that give marginal gains...ill just wait and get a nice turbo kit that will offer real gains. guys, just save your money and get something worthwhile.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dolebludger
Well, I'm no fool, and I think the responses that the car is just fine stock prove it. I was just asking a question after all. No, I'm not into drag racing, but a car's ability to accelerate is important on the track too, isn't it?

Thanks,
Richard
Right, but more important is the car's ability to maintain it's already built speed through a corner. So now it doesn't have to accelerate as much. A stock S2000 will exit a corner at say 60 mph. This Mugen S2000 will exit the same corner at 75 mph. That's a huge advantage. Think about it; most races start from a roll. Right? That takes some advantage away from the Camaros and Mustangs, that can only accelerate quickly.

ps. I watched an old Civic (70s or 80s) hatchback with an 85 hp carburated engine destroy a Ferrari Testerossa on a roadcourse. Which one would have won in a drag race?
Old 08-04-2003, 08:57 AM

I see, I think. So suspension mods are more effective that mods aimed at increasing power, right?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 08-04-2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by dolebludger
I see, I think. So suspension mods are more effective that mods aimed at increasing power, right?

Thanks,
Richard
The I/H/E from Mugen not only increase useable power considerably, they're also quite a bit lighter than stock, which helps performance in every way.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:07 AM

Well here is my take on the subject.

First off, you can always improve a car. Those that proclaim the car is fine from the factory need to qualify their statement by adding "for me" to the end of their statement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being totally satisfied with a car's stock performance and lacking the knowhow or motivation to improve it. Just don't contend that I can't build a faster S2000, because I'll prove you wrong in a straight line or on a road course.

Secondly many people complain about "wasting" money on NA mods. IMHO this is a mentality that is usually (but not always of course) shared by those very new to the world of car modification. There are subtle enhancements that go beyond raw hp/toque numbers. Throttle response, overall weight, weight balance, etc.... Sure its very easy to slap a turbo on an S2000 and make big numbers, but can you effectively USE all that power? What good is 300+ whp when you're spinning wheels all the time or chewing up your differential? I think our friends in Japan have the right idea on this one (very infrequently do you see any S2K's turbo'd over there, although that is mostly because they are built for endurance racing).

Personally, I'd much rather spend the exact same amount of money(or even more) on a car that is well balanced, "feels" right, and is tuned to take a corner on a track or a stoplight equally well.

Modifying a car (any car) is not always a "hp vs. $" debate.

But hey, what the hell do I know
Old 08-04-2003, 11:37 AM

^
Amen to that.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:59 PM

Some mods do help the S2000's performance. Just observe the lap times for a stock S2000 and the Spoon S2000 and you will see. I'm not trying to say that the Spoon S2000 is the ultimate performing S2000, because in all actuality, it's in a rather mild state of tune. They knew what areas to improve on the car without disrupting the balance of the stock S2000.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1AP12NV
[B]Well here is my take on the subject.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:54 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by trnhggr
[B]exactly,
Old 08-04-2003, 03:46 PM

Ouch.

As for mods not helping................hmmm.........Ive got a comptech blower, which occasionally finds itself in the middle of a furious "is it worth it" argument.

I was thinking about getting a Z06 the last few days, but have decided to pass, at least for now, becuase I would be trading one fast car for another, albeit slightly faster, car.

Mods do work on this car. Depends on the kind you do. Ive seen mod lists that were half a page long, consisting of clear corners, shaved emblems, etc. Those mods arnt gonna do all that much for you on the road.

Quick Reply: Do Any Mods Really Do That Much Good?