S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?

Old 02-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

ams,

Why is this such a difficult decision for you. Install the thing, and if you notice any heat problems, remove it! The only times that you could have any issues is during the hottest part of summer in stop and go traffic or on the track. During the VA winter, it might actually be a good thing. Ever noticed the big 18 wheelers or busses driving with their radiators partially covered during the winter?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ams
Dang. Now I'm really confused!

Well, if nothing else I'll install the side grills, that can only help temperature-wise. But I'm really on the fence now about the center grill. Which sucks because I already have it (not installed though), and it looks so cool on my sebring silver

And turning off the AC when it's really hot out running the thread of overheating during track time or autocross -- that is not what I'd consider acceptable.

mofosumbitch
ARG!
If I may? Take it off if you plan to track or auto-x.

I have the 4-IG intake(AEM knockoff).
Old 02-04-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my Coastal Metals grille set. Never seen more than 3 bars on our generalized temp gauge.

Put it on, you'll love the look. If not, you haven't added any extra holes (center section ofcourse, since you are replacing the fake vents with the side grills), so just un-bolt the mounting hardware and your done!

My bet is that once you have them in place, they will remain.

Later,
Hockey
Old 02-04-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
ams,

Why is this such a difficult decision for you.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Doc

Ya, even with the problems a few of us desert dogs have had, I still keep mine on. It has saved my radiator numerous times, and looks so sweet!

I agree, put it on and give it whirl. You'll end up likin' it!

JJ
Old 02-04-2004, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by FF2Skip
If in fact RR is correct, then I may look into adding a couple of real gauges.
Oh, that hurts!

Trust me, I know what I am talking about in this matter. I studied the effects of grilles on air movement when I was analysing ESL's - electrostatic loudspeakers. The speakers run on +/- 7kV AC with enough current to make you a very dead person were you to touch the anodes/cathodes- you don't fool around with that technology by being stupid.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
Maybe the '04s have smaller radiators?
Maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow. Maybe there is a Loch Ness monster. Maybe UFO's routinely visit the earth. Maybe John Kerry is Fred Gwynne's body double.

Is that one of those "throw it out and see if it sticks" kind of arugument?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:44 PM

Whoa, I almost walked right into your bubble there, Road Rage.

BTW, the condenser from a points distributor can just as easily make you a very dead person. You and your speakers aren't that special. Special is when you ohm out yourself by puncturing your fingertips with the two leads on a DMM - you'll be dead before you hit the ground.

EDIT: No, it's one of those "I'm not sure so let's check it out" arguments. I thought you knew that. Maybe you just had a brain fart?

Old 02-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
Whoa, I almost walked right into your bubble there, Road Rage.

BTW, the condenser from a points distributor can just as easily make you a very dead person. You and your speakers aren't that special. Special is when you ohm out yourself by puncturing your fingertips with the two leads on a DMM - you'll be dead before you hit the ground.
Now we are gettiong somewhere. The capacitor stores DC current, right? I would be very surprised if it could do more than give you a shock - DC is less dangerous to the body than AC.

About that DMM - yes, it uses a small current to give a reading, but how do you figure it is at all dangerous? During my "troubled" early teens years, when we all had a fascination with blowing things up, I happened upon some blasting caps, and used my primitive multi-meter (analog) to measure the resistance - I am fortunate I did not set one off. I did wire 5 of them in series to a hi-voltage transformer, and used my 6VDC "experimenter dry cell" connected to a blade switch and 100 feet of twinax to light it off - the target was a neighbor's 1/8" thick custom mailbox, which had resisted all of our cherry bombs. All that was left was a crater. Ah, sweet bird of youth!
Old 02-04-2004, 01:57 PM

Alright, you go find some old-school condenser and touch your fingers to the anode and cathode - it'll definitely shock you like a MFer. Some can and will kill you.

I don't know what DMM you're using, but most these days run about 3A of current. With as good of a conductor as blood is, that'll pass through your body in no time. It's the amperage, not the voltage, that kills you.

Quick Reply: Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?