S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?

Old 02-03-2004, 07:56 PM
ams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
FWIW, I have a Coastal Metal grille and my front plate is attached to that.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 PM

Water problems have occurred on cars with AEM style intakes sitting in the rain taking on water from a hole in the engine bay draining directly onto the filter.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ams
Old 02-04-2004, 06:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If in fact RR is correct, then I may look into adding a couple of real gauges.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by reds2
Water problems have occurred on cars with AEM style intakes sitting in the rain taking on water from a hole in the engine bay draining directly onto the filter.
That can't happen unless the car is parked on a significant incline with the nose pointing upwards. It rains quite a bit here in Dallas, and I haven't had a single problem. If you have to park out in the rain on an incline, face the car down hill.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Doc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silvershadow
There are several people here in AZ that run S's with Grille-Tech or Coastal Metal grills.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:40 AM
ams

I wonder if you could cut the grills in spots to get more airflow? Kind of a compromise between grills and no grills
Old 02-04-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, since nobody is posting actual numbers...

We tested IAT's (Intake Air Temperature) with only a Coastal Metals grill to protect the radiator section. A followup test was executed a few minutes later using the same car with the Coastal Metals grill removed. IATs were elevated during operation with the grill in place. From the sample there was an increase of between 10-20 degrees F in the intake. Ambient temperatures were in the low 60's but the intake temps were nearly 120-130 degrees at WOT. To put this in perspective, stock S2000's registers about 110 degrees at that ambient temperature. Additionally, most CAI's will only drop your intake temps down to 100 degrees in this scenario. These are very significant numbers from a performance standpoint. An increase of 10 degrees F in the intake charge is a loss of 1-3% of your wheel horsepower. If you need a dollar amount: 1-3% of your power is roughly the cost of a CAI and a single exit exhaust ($1000).

On the flip side, a long tube CAI like the AEMv2 would obviate the above scenario. The CAI would pull air from another section of the car. We tested on a 100% stock S2000 and the numbers above reflect as much.

We did not track coolant temperatures, but in a track environment it is a plausible scenario that a 50% restriction in airflow may overwhelm the coolant system to the point of overheating. In a street environment, I doubt there is much to worry about.

Coastal Metals offers a product that covers the faux brake ducts and advertise this as a 'cooler air system.' This configuration was not tested.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:12 AM
ams

Dang. Now I'm really confused!

Well, if nothing else I'll install the side grills, that can only help temperature-wise. But I'm really on the fence now about the center grill. Which sucks because I already have it (not installed though), and it looks so cool on my sebring silver

And turning off the AC when it's really hot out running the thread of overheating during track time or autocross -- that is not what I'd consider acceptable.

mofosumbitch

ARG!
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ams,

I have the grille-tech ones on mine but I haven't even driven the car with them on yet. (away for winter) However, I know people that have them or ones similar to them that have no problem at all in any situation. And when I installed mine, the amount of crap, leaves, insects, bird feathers, etc. that I pulled out of the front end and wiped off the radiator/condenser made it worth it to me, even if the car does run a little hotter.

Phil.

Quick Reply: Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?