S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?

Old 02-03-2004, 10:57 AM
ams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?

Someone mentioned this in another forum, and since I'm about to install a set of coastal metal grills whenever the freakin snow melts, I'm obviously concerned.

Does this seem like a real problem?

What about mounting a license plate in the grill?

Also, by replacing the side fake plastic vent with an open grill, I'm actually introducing airflow to that area of the bumper, where my Injen CAI filter is. Does anyone think there could be any water intake problems, like if I was driving highway speed in a pounding downpour? If the filter just gets wet, is that a big problem? We're not talking submerged in water here, just maybe very very wet.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:12 AM

There are several people here in AZ that run S's with Grille-Tech or Coastal Metal grills. None of them report overheating problems - even in the summer (meanig outside temps of 115 F or more)
Old 02-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It isn't going to cause overheating, even with a license plate mounted on it. However, it will reduce air flow by some amount. This will increase maximum coolant temps in the summer. I would expect a greater decrease in power on extremely hot days.

I have an AEM CAI with my faux duct cut out. I have never had any problems due to rain or even puddles. I have driven in some VERY heavy down pours where the cars around me splashed HUGE waves of water all over me without problems. The intake has to be submerged in water for it to be a problem, and cutting the fuax duct out doesn't change the risk of submersion.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:41 PM

Even with the license plate, your engine shouldn't overheat. As gernby said, you may notice some slight powerloss in the summer months - your cooling system will be working overtime to keep your engine at specified temperature. It'd take some serious shit to get your engine to overheat (i.e. parts failure, not simply restricting a little air flow to the radiator).

EDIT: Note how I said overheat, not run hotter.

As for your CAI - you really shouldn't have too much problems in the wet. It'd take a buttload of vacuum inside the CAI piping to be able to suck the fluid from the ground, up to the engine, against gravity. For the fluid to travel the entire length, the passageway (piping) must be completely filled. If not, it's just going to "bubble."

But if anything, you'll just choke the engine and stall.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silvershadow
There are several people here in AZ that run S's with Grille-Tech or Coastal Metal grills.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:45 PM

Maybe the '04s have smaller radiators?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:58 PM

There was some data done on this a few years ago. I believe (not sure) it was done by some one in the PacNW.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Numerous people have had issues with the car running warmer with the grill and/or plate blocking the air flow. It depends upon the conditions and usage, but in some cases it reduces cooling enough to show on the temp gauge.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I have a Coastal Metal grille and my front plate is attached to that. During the summer while in traffic on I-95, I have had the temp gauge show 4 bars. Once the car gets some breathing room, it immediately drops back to 3.

As already stated, it undoubtedly blocks quite a bit of air.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM

edit: nvm. I was trying to edit my first post but hit the wrong button.

Quick Reply: Do aftermarket grills present a threat to proper radiator cooling?