S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY S2000 Tensioner and Serpentine Belt

Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write-up! I'm actually planning on doing this on Thursday so this is amazingly convenient. I hope it'll fix my problem, what were your symptoms that caused you to change the belt? What would be the symptoms to change the pulley? I have 50k on a 2005...
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM

any help on how to stretch my belt? i bought a new belt from honda and it goes thru everything but i need like .5 inch to fully be in. i route it everywhere except the water pully to so i can slide it in but its too tight. thats even with the tensioner turned. i checked the part number with the current installed belt and its the same one. is it because i have the SOS stg 1 installed?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:12 PM

If you are running something other than the stock setup, you will probably need a diff length belt.

FWIW, you can pickup a pulley, w/new bearing, from RockAuto for ~$20. Perhaps the tensioner does indeed wear out, but if you are getting noise it is prob from a bad pulley bearing.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ljsimp
I replaced the tensioner because it was making a crackling noise inside the box. Like many have said the belt only takes about 30 minutes. Getting charged $300...well crap happens we all have got screwed once or twice before.
I changed my original belt yesterday with a Goodyear Gatorback and my tensioner is now making an intermittent scratchy raspy sound that I never heard before. It sounds like an electrical short and made me think it might be the electrical connection that was nearby wasn't re-seated correctly. Best I can tell, it's the tensioner. Is that the type of sound you were hearing from your failed tensioner?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:48 PM
ado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by JERO,Feb 26 2010, 10:41 PM
How often do you guys change this? I'm still on the original at 7 years and 48K miles. Seems to look pretty good though.
if you go by the condition of the belt (frays and cracks) it can last a long time, but if you go by the indicator on the tensioner you might change it sooner. My car has 55k on it and is almost 8 years old, the tensioner indicator was at the end mark of the indicator box which means that the belt had stretched to it's maximum point. After putting on the new belt the indicator moved back to the start of the tensioner box. so I think it was a good time to change it.

The Goodyear Gatorback belt ribs are designed to run cooler and quieter, I like their line of belts, the Goodyear belt is under $25, the Honda belt list is 3 times that cost.
I'm at 115k miles on the original belt at over 12 years of age (2001 model manufactured in late 2000) with no cracking/fraying of the belt and "the pointer on the auto-tensioner housing is not beyond the edge of the indicator rib on the tensioner base" as the service manual specifies for alternator-compressor belt inspection. I'm going to replace mine as PM before a trip to the dragon in April. I just want to verify the correct part number for a 2001 serpentine/alternator-compressor belt. Is 38920-PCX-024 correct? Thanks.

Illust. No. 8 here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

Another link:

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-p.../38920-pcx-004
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM
ado

Originally Posted by ado
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1267288866' post='18218593
Originally Posted by JERO,Feb 26 2010, 10:41 PM
How often do you guys change this? I'm still on the original at 7 years and 48K miles. Seems to look pretty good though.
if you go by the condition of the belt (frays and cracks) it can last a long time, but if you go by the indicator on the tensioner you might change it sooner. My car has 55k on it and is almost 8 years old, the tensioner indicator was at the end mark of the indicator box which means that the belt had stretched to it's maximum point. After putting on the new belt the indicator moved back to the start of the tensioner box. so I think it was a good time to change it.

The Goodyear Gatorback belt ribs are designed to run cooler and quieter, I like their line of belts, the Goodyear belt is under $25, the Honda belt list is 3 times that cost.
I'm at 115k miles on the original belt at over 12 years of age (2001 model manufactured in late 2000) with no cracking/fraying of the belt and "the pointer on the auto-tensioner housing is not beyond the edge of the indicator rib on the tensioner base" as the service manual specifies for alternator-compressor belt inspection. I'm going to replace mine as PM before a trip to the dragon in April. I just want to verify the correct part number for a 2001 serpentine/alternator-compressor belt. Is 38920-PCX-024 correct? Thanks.

Illust. No. 8 here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...2FC+COMPRESSOR

Another link:

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/oem-p.../38920-pcx-004
It turns out I was wrong about the pointer on the auto-tensioner housing not being beyond the edge of the indicator rib on the tensioner base, it was.

I replaced my belt with part number 38920-PCX-024 for approximately $75 shipped from Majestic Honda.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Doing this with a SOS kit on the car makes its alot more difficult then it sounds. Lol. I'm fixing to do my belt on my car
Old 04-16-2013, 04:29 PM

Doing this with a SOS kit on the car makes its alot more difficult then it sounds. Lol. I'm fixing to do my belt on my car
Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So you don't have to draw it yourself, or take a pic.
The following 2 users liked this post by vtec9:
623baller (01-28-2017), CMK (02-01-2017)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:27 PM

How do you know if you need to replace the tensioner?or just the belt? I have 120k on my car now and I track my car so I'd hate to get stuck somewhere cause the belt failed

Quick Reply: DIY S2000 Tensioner and Serpentine Belt