S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY replacing clutch master cylinder

Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up and the links with images really helped. The hardest thing, strangely, was twisting and pulling out the clip that secures the CMC arm to the pedal. I think the pliers I have were too big (I actually used a leatherman) so I advise some thin nose pliers. Really glad for these DIY's!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did this DIY.

I think it should be a 10mm open-end wrench but otherwise good write-up.

Another useful tool is a U-joint socket attachment to get at those 12mm bolts at an angle.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good writeup. A couple of notes on my experience:

On my 2002, the clutch line nut was a 10mm, not an 8mm as the writer says his was.

When removing the left nut under the footwell, I stuffed a rag between the wall of the car and the plastic liner to prevent the nut from falling between when I removed it.

Important note: brake fluid dissolves paint! So be sure to immediately wipe off any drops that land on your fender, and be careful whet you touch if you get any fluid on your hands.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good day mates!

I'll be replacing my clutch master cylinder and clutch slave (AP2 to AP1) cylinder this weekend. I read that bench bleeding them prior to installation will help or expedite with the bleed process. My question is, after I install both the cmc/csc do I bleed from the master cylinder or from the slave cylinder? Or both? Or maybe not needed if I've already bench bleeded?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rip_ej1
Good day mates!

I'll be replacing my clutch master cylinder and clutch slave (AP2 to AP1) cylinder this weekend. I read that bench bleeding them prior to installation will help or expedite with the bleed process. My question is, after I install both the cmc/csc do I bleed from the master cylinder or from the slave cylinder? Or both? Or maybe not needed if I've already bench bleeded?

Thanks in advance.
You can only bleed from the slave?
Old 09-25-2015, 02:54 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by toecheese
Good writeup. A couple of notes on my experience:

On my 2002, the clutch line nut was a 10mm, not an 8mm as the writer says his was.

When removing the left nut under the footwell, I stuffed a rag between the wall of the car and the plastic liner to prevent the nut from falling between when I removed it.

Important note: brake fluid dissolves paint! So be sure to immediately wipe off any drops that land on your fender, and be careful whet you touch if you get any fluid on your hands.
Or you can also use a fender cover, I use rags inside a garbage bag laid out flat, the rags prevent scratches to the paint, and the bag keeps liquids and dirt off the fenders. Or you can get actual fender covers.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:44 PM

I just made a DIY POV video for this. Hopefully it helps some of you reading this thread

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-m0alr2am4[/media]
Old 02-02-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For anyone reading through this thread and thinking bench bleeding is a good idea, I would like to share my experience.

I bench bled the new master cylinder by filling the reservoir with brake fluid and working the pushrod. Then I reinstalled the plastic plug in the fitting for the hard line. I noticed that whenever the fitting was not plugged, brake fluid poured out.

I installed the master cylinder in the car, with the requisite newspaper underneath to protect the paint. In the process, the cylinder wanted to trap the hard line against the firewall, so I had to move the line. There wasn't enough room to see what I was doing with my hand in the way, so I had to do it by feel. Well the hard line managed to hook the plastic plug and pop it out, and all the brake fluid drained out of the reservoir before I could get the line in place and its nut snugged down! I mopped up the spilled fluid, finished the install and bleed process, got the car off the jackstands and out of the garage, and hosed out the affected area of the engine bay. I hope I don't lose a lot of paint in there

Unless you're a pro and very quick at connecting up the hard line, I recommend you install the master cylinder dry and deal with bleeding it later!

Wayne
Old 07-18-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet
I just made a DIY POV video for this. Hopefully it helps some of you reading this thread

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-m0alr2am4[/media]
Sorry to bump this -- in your video you say 8mm in the beginning, and 10mm towards the end -- I just want to confirm, the only flare wrench size I'll need here will be a 10mm right?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Sorry to bump this -- in your video you say 8mm in the beginning, and 10mm towards the end -- I just want to confirm, the only flare wrench size I'll need here will be a 10mm right?
Hey, I'm currently out of the country and haven't been able to get decent wifi. I'm pretty sure its a 10mm, the clutch fluid bleeder is an 8mm which may have confused me at the time. I will likely film a better version of this video now that I'm shooting 4k and have a proper mic.
The following users liked this post:
HarryD (07-22-2017)

Quick Reply: DIY replacing clutch master cylinder