S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 02-04-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mlc,Feb 1 2008, 08:28 AM
Money is one consideration. But the fact that I know that it is done correctly and not just half a$$ed by someone that has been working at the dealership two weeks is more important to me. I don't want to have to post one of those "I was driving down the road and heard a stranage noice and OMG no oil plug" stories. So that is why I do most if not all of my own maintenance.

Besides to me that is one of the things about owning this car that I like you can do the mainenance yourself.

mlc
This is exactly why I do all of the maintenance on my car short of pulling the engine/transmission. I've heard and seen way too many stories from family and friends of stripped drain bolts, drain bolts popping out at autocrosses (I was there, it was nasty), filler caps being forgot to put back on, etc. I do my own work and I know it's been done correctly.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awsome write up!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my s2k and I used to use Mobil 1 for my Si but Ive read that it consumes oil. Any insight? What kind of oil do you guys use?
Old 05-18-2010, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously? Search and you'll find plenty of existing suggestions. Fluids are a dead horse that people have been beating on for a very long time.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

jackstands? WTF really?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:40 AM

Hi guys, what do you think of me doing this? I have been doing most my own work on my cars for over 10 plus years and even have been and graduated from a school for automotive mechanics technology. I don't do crazy stuff like engine swaps, timing belts, etc. but will try to learn to do anything to save some crackhead from touching my car cause i'm pretty anal.

I was watching way back like 10 years ago on TV some guy was changing his oil on a show kind of like "shade tree mechanic". He put teflon tape around the treads for extra protection for "leakage". I got into this since then. Now, I ALWAYS use a NEW dealer gasket and don't overload the thing with tape. Just about 6 inches or so and wrap it with the treads...lol In all my cars I have never had a leak, blew a engine or had the tape in the oil or anything. I'm sure it's fine without, but when I went for a state inspection the other day and the guy couldn't find the start button, I guess it could be worse. opinions? I guess habits are hard to break.

Also thanks for all the tips on here. This is my first time posting and all the help is great. Having a service manual with torque specs. is also a great idea if you want to save money and will pay you back. I think the car actually is pretty easy to work on and anybody with patience or mechanical ability can do a better job than a lot of so called mechanics out there. If anyone is going to screw up my car it's going to be me.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teflon tape on the drain bolt?

IMO it is overkill. If you use a new crush washer on the oil drain every time you change it and torque it down to spec, it won't leak unless you crossthread the bolt (it has happened to me on my daily).
Old 08-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Jan 29 2008, 07:10 PM
i hand tighten my filters... yeah i know... its blasphemy to some.
i work as a toyota tech and if we do anything other then hand tight we get our asses kicked anything over hand tight is overtightened possibly damaging the seal
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 AM

good stuff man, thanks just did my first oil change today
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by AWDalbert,Feb 8 2011, 01:39 PM
good stuff man, thanks just did my first oil change today
Me too. Thanks for the write-up, OP.

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change