S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 01-29-2008, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a different way to get the jacks going. I have to pull out the stock from the trunk to get it high enough!

I know how to change oil, but this is quicker
Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deathsled,Jan 29 2008, 06:04 PM
That's crazy talk!

My oil change consists of:

- 17mm socket and ratchet
- Channel locks (much better than a filter wrench )
- Oil catch pan
- New filter
- "5.1" qts. of your preferred 10w-30 motor oil (or 5w-40 if you will be seeing regular -0F temps)
- 2 2x4s to roll the front wheels up on to.

The trick is to get yourself a CAI so that there is no need to go under the car
i do have one. i sport a k&n. makes life easier when you're reaching for that filter
what's a channel lock? i hand tighten my filters... yeah i know... its blasphemy to some.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone once told me a quart of diesel or kerosene, poured in after the oil has been drained out, does a good job of "rinsing" out the old oil and sludge. Anyone ever try this?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM

It is nice to know how to do these things, but is it worth it? Oil is probably going to get spilled on the floor during the change. What do you do with the old oil and filter? If you decide to take it to a recycling center (instead of poring it on the ground, poring it in the sewer, etc.) you will some empty jugs to empty the catch pan in, then make the road trip with the jugs and filter. Then the pan has to be cleaned. Any spills need to be cleaned up. I had my oil changed last week at the local Honda dealer for $25. I'm tight with a dollar, but I now leave the oil changing to others.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:28 AM
mlc

Money is one consideration. But the fact that I know that it is done correctly and not just half a$$ed by someone that has been working at the dealership two weeks is more important to me. I don't want to have to post one of those "I was driving down the road and heard a stranage noice and OMG no oil plug" stories. So that is why I do most if not all of my own maintenance.

Besides to me that is one of the things about owning this car that I like you can do the mainenance yourself.

mlc
Old 02-01-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 419 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jan 31 2008, 06:48 PM
It is nice to know how to do these things, but is it worth it? Oil is probably going to get spilled on the floor during the change. What do you do with the old oil and filter? If you decide to take it to a recycling center (instead of poring it on the ground, poring it in the sewer, etc.) you will some empty jugs to empty the catch pan in, then make the road trip with the jugs and filter. Then the pan has to be cleaned. Any spills need to be cleaned up. I had my oil changed last week at the local Honda dealer for $25. I'm tight with a dollar, but I now leave the oil changing to others.
You can throw used oil filters in the garbage after you poor the oil out. And you can technically return oil to any place that sells it.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:17 PM

you should give this link to that wrx guy who blew his motor by using 75w90 tranny oil in engine!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM

What kind of oil do you guys recommend?

This will be my first on the S. I change it in all my other cars, and my suv, but not in the S.

Full Synthetic?

Mobil1?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jan 31 2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with you in principle that your dealer or lube place can do it quicker and cheaper. You can get it done for $20-30 with conventional oil at most places which is how much I spent just for the synth. oil.

Unfortunately this doesn't mean they are doing it properly. After having my dealer not torque the drain bolt down and having the oil spill out in a parking lot and having it towed I decided to do it myself.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Great write up! def change it yourself if you dont already it's cheaper and with these simple steps a noob to the car world can do this.

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change