S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 06-02-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Replacement Gasket?

Just did my first oil change on my "new" '06 (50k). When I pulled off the old filter, I didn't find the separate gasket? I assume that the previous owner, or someone where it got serviced, either forgot or didn't replace it. Does anyone have the Honda Part #? I called my local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about..."the new filter has a gasket". Doesn't sound like a big deal since the car isn't going to be tracked, just fun driving.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

The oil filter gasket is integrated into the filter, no separate part on the OEM filter. There are many threads on the correct way to seat the filter. The oil plug bolt washer is not part of the bolt and should be replaced when an oil change is done.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:00 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Does any one know of a drain oil catch pan that is low enough to slide under a stock height S without lifting?

My goal is to get to the point that I can do an oil change without any lifting, or maybe just a slight lift on front driver's side to enhance draining. I am going to have my car on stands today for another issue and while I have it up I'm going to do an oil change and install a Fumoto drain valve. But, with that done, I think I can reach every thing I need to reach from above and if I can find a low enough drain pan I should be good to go for future oil changes with no lift and no time under the car.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I do the "no lift" oil change myself using a Fumoto oil pan valve. Works great.
There are two drain pans I use. The first is a simple, low flat, black plastic one I found at Wal Mart. Not the round one but the rectangular one. Round one is a bit too high.
The other I have started to use (it is easier than cleaning the plastic pan) are disposable aluminum chaffing pans. You can get a stack of them at Costco for very little. I also use them for cooking/grilling/smoking.
When I am done draining the used oil into the container for transport to the auto parts shop (for recycling) I place the pan in another bag or something to keep any spare drips from getting on the trash can.

I also happen to use a metal drip pan/panel under the cars when they are parked in the garage to catch any oil drips. I put the oil catch pan on that to slide it around to the perfect position. Plus, if there is any that misses the catch pan, it is easy to clean up and prevent oil from getting on the floor/deck.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:38 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,256 Likes on 1,097 Posts

The oil filter needs 7/8 of a turn after gasket contact. Instructions are printed on the filter itself. Will take tools to do this. Use the OEM filter. There are no suitable substitutes.

My S2000 is OEM height and I can't even slide a low profile jack under it. You'll need to be on jackstands or a lift to drain the oil. Can maybe jack up on one side and get to it. Not sure the wisdom of the Fumoto drain valve (or any other). But my annual mileage is such that an oil change is annual as well. With a 7500 mile service schedule I don't see the need for a quick drain. I don't race the car so your oil change schedule may be shorter.. If I used a valve I'd want it safety wired shut.

-- Chuck
Old 06-03-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

My 09 is bone stock. The aluminum chafing dish pans (whatever they are called) will fit under and they bend easily anyway. I cannot fit my jack (Costco) under the front either so when I do I use beveled edged 2X6s to drive up on.

I change at 3000 miles because I like to. When you see and work with the Fumoto, you will see how complex the required action to open the valve is and where that is located relative to the pan/car. If something were to strike it and cause it to bend or open, it won't matter because it indicates the car has been totaled anyway. As it happens, Fumoto has a plastic snap locking piece for first time users to feel good about it. After one change you realize how pointless it is.

Name:  FumotpValve1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gorg
Does anyone turn their engine on and rev it up to about 3k after they drain the oil?

This is supposedly done to get the old oil out of the engine oil pump.

yes but you need to get it up to 8000rpm and hold it for about 5minutes.... then proceed to go and order new short block from Honda
Old 06-04-2017, 05:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,256 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Aluminum broiler pan is a slick idea. Any grocery store should have them.

3000 mile oil change is severe overkill -- but overkill always works. We all seem to be guilty of this in some respects at times.

-- Chuck
Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Got a fumoto as well, I use a big trash bag, slide my 7qt oil pan under the car, on top of the trash bag to keep any oil from touching the ground. Open the valve, and ride my bike to get more oil. By the time I come back it's drained. Fill new filter with oil about half way then screw on block. Put in new oil, then transfer the used oil into the now empty 5 quart jug.

Start the car to make sure no leaks or strange noises, then drive to the advance and dump my old oil.

I only use jackstands to do transmission oil changes every other year. Diff fluid I have to do on my back but not too bad.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I installed one of the new type fumoto valves (see their web site) this past weekend. I must say the thing is making me nervous. It really hangs down and to the side a lot. I think I'm going to take it off next time I change and maybe install the basic model like depicted in cosmomiller's pics above. Or, maybe just go back to the standard drain plug.

The reality is that if you hit something while driving that is sufficient to take out that valve you will know it and you just have to pull over and take a look at it. Not a big deal. Its not going to happen without the operator being aware of it. Still- seeing that big valve hanging off the pan like that gives me the willies.

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change