S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the people that want another alternative to flushing or cleaning the internals after a oil change
This is what i use

Motul engine clean
I get it by the case on amazon.com
Expensive but is the best product for this
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Kerosene? Dirty oil and sludge? What the heck. Don't you change your oil every 3 to 5k? Do you use old fryer oil? Any good API rated oil above Service SH should give you 5,ooo miles and leave the engine innards clean as a whistle. If you are changing oil and its darker than "Dark amber maple syrup" (for the north-easterners) or Log Cabin Syrup (for the rest of you) you should be changing it more often. You should only spend money for an oil analysis if you beat on the engine regularly (drive it hard and at high revs), or want to stimulate the economy yourself. And, I do agree - working on the car is kinda fun and satisfying if you have a decent place to work and some decent tools.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Nice write-up. One question. Instead of the 5.1 qtz of oil that we need to put into these cars, I put in about 4.8-5 qt (dont ask why) So now, when I check the dipstick, it looks like nothing is on it, just barely and its really clear. Is this normal? I did change the filter as well. should I add more oil?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by leoxle
Nice write-up. One question. Instead of the 5.1 qtz of oil that we need to put into these cars, I put in about 4.8-5 qt (dont ask why) So now, when I check the dipstick, it looks like nothing is on it, just barely and its really clear. Is this normal? I did change the filter as well. should I add more oil?
The "clear"ness is normal as its brand new oil, and you should keep your oil between the third and highest <><> or "x"S on your dipstick make sure you check both sides of the dipstick when you're checking your oil.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Feuerrader
Originally Posted by leoxle' timestamp='1356389303' post='22228337
The "clear"ness is normal as its brand new oil, and you should keep your oil between the third and highest <><> or "x"S on your dipstick make sure you check both sides of the dipstick when you're checking your oil.
Alright thanks! I was beginning to worry lol I mean there was like no oil at all on the stick, and what was on it was like water-clear almost.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by FISH22
Almost positive it will change the oil pressure. I would definitely get the S2000 PCX filter in there.
I doubt it will change the oil pressure @ normal operating temp. Very easy to check.

Originally Posted by mister x
Originally Posted by Margil' timestamp='1346179875' post='21971228
I went to Honda to get a oil filter. I got the wrong one, I got the one they use for civic. How bad it to be using that filter?? I found out later that I had the wrong one
Personally I'd swap it out, just looking at the size difference says something about the filtering capacity. Pull of the Civic filter, pop on a PCX, top off oil, check for leaks, drive in peace.
This is true, if all things are equal the larger the filter the better it filters and the larger filter will hold more contaminates before it becomes restrictive(this should never happen). That is why if you use a larger than stock oil filter you can use one that filters better than the stock oil filter and still give your engine the same or more oil than the stock oil filter.

I have ran oversize filters on my vehicles for over 40 years and do with my '06 S also. The filter that I use is a little over twice as large as the S filter and I have put about 65k miles on my S in 26 months.
I've posted pic's before, but if you haven't seen them I'll post them again

http://s949.photobucket.com/albums/a...Oil%20Filters/

ROD
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM

Great writeup, very helpful and made the change easy as. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the crush washer, so I kept the existing standard washer on the bolt. I didn't over tighten so I'll be able to get it off easily the next time I go change the oil.

Originally Posted by psaltminer
Kerosene? Dirty oil and sludge? What the heck. Don't you change your oil every 3 to 5k? Do you use old fryer oil?
Hah! I've had my s2k 8-9 weeks and my oil was black and sludgy. Can't trust a dealer as far as you can punt them. Filter was either the A01 or A02, and oil was total crap. I doubt they even changed the filter when they sold it. Nice to know they're dropping in the cheapest synthetic they can.

Any good API rated oil above Service SH should give you 5,ooo miles and leave the engine innards clean as a whistle. If you are changing oil and its darker than "Dark amber maple syrup" (for the north-easterners) or Log Cabin Syrup (for the rest of you) you should be changing it more often. You should only spend money for an oil analysis if you beat on the engine regularly (drive it hard and at high revs), or want to stimulate the economy yourself. And, I do agree - working on the car is kinda fun and satisfying if you have a decent place to work and some decent tools.
My next oil change is 3.8k away. Will be using cheap synthetic combined with de-greaser to clear the lines, pan etc. and hopefully clear out any left over dirty oil. Filter gets replaced as well. Had to get in the 004s from the States
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from the 2x4 method, are there recommendations for a decently priced set of low profile ramps?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by sse2k
Aside from the 2x4 method, are there recommendations for a decently priced set of low profile ramps?
Decently priced? Not that I know of. Just use the stock jack to get it up high enough.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I discovered an easier way to change oil in my S2000. It doesn't require raising the car at all.

Slide the oil catch pan under the oil plug.

Put the socket on the end of a long extension and slide it in between the spokes of the right front wheel all the way to the oil plug. Crack the plug loose and then reach down from above and remove the loose plug it with fingers.

The oil filter can also be reached from above.

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change