S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I change the oil and filter when the oil gets black... usually happens around 3500-4000 miles. Some people are super anal about it and change every 3000... if you use full synthetic you can probably get 5000 miles on the oil/filter and never have problems. ~4000 is a fair middle ground.

If you hit VTEC frequently (like I do), you'll be adding a couple of quarts between changes anyways, which does extend the life some.

All in all, I would suggest just going off of the color... light gold = good, dark gold = starting to wear, brown = time to start thinking about changing it, black = change it immediately. That's how I do it anyways.

As far as the filter goes, you might as well change it whenever you change your oil. It's only 10 bucks... not really going to break the bank hopefully.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
is it okay to change the oil every 3000 miles and change the filter every 6000 miles?
Isn't the standard oil change interval 7,500 miles? I don't think there's anything wrong with your 3k/6k suggestion.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

You can change it as often as you like - its your money and time.

Fwiw, I have always changed at 7,500 mi or 12 mo, whichever comes first. Blackstone UOAs always show good life and that I could extend the OCI.

Also, fwiw, I:

1. loosen the oil cap
2. jack the left front up
3. set the car on a jack stand
4. put down newspaper
5. crack the drain bolt and drain the oil, placing the pan so it will catch the oil as it flows quickly to slowly
6. remove the old filter (excess oil drips into the perfectly placed drain pan)
7. clean the area, check for the old grommet, and attach new filter
8. do mild clean up, other garage stuff, etc
9. replace crush washer and screw on drain bolt
10. remove pan and newspaper from under car
11. drop car
12. fill with 5 qt oil
13. run engine
14. check dipstick
15. top off to get it mid-range
16. next morning, when cold, check the oil level, top off as needed

Having the left side of the car jacked helps with not only draining, it tips the car so you can reach down from above to change the filter, and if you have the oil pan in the right location, the excess oil from the filter drips down into it and not onto the block.

Filts cost ~$10 (OEM), oil ~$20 (synth on sale at Wal Mart usually), and it takes an hour.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by notaloafer
All in all, I would suggest just going off of the color... light gold = good, dark gold = starting to wear, brown = time to start thinking about changing it, black = change it immediately. That's how I do it anyways.
You shouldn't go by color to decide when to change oil. Just because oil is dark does not mean it is no longer effective, just that it has trapped contaminants in it.

The only way to really know the health of your oil is to get an analysis done.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by hunginator
Also, keep in mind that the oil change was only done for storage as I am not driving the car in the winter. I will be doing another change as soon as I bring the car out of storage and I will make sure it is the PCX filter.
It makes no sense to change the oil before and after storage - its not being used, just sitting in the pan.

Change the oil in the spring before you use the car for the driving season.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Honda to get a oil filter. I got the wrong one, I got the one they use for civic. How bad it to be using that filter?? I found out later that I had the wrong one
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Almost positive it will change the oil pressure. I would definitely get the S2000 PCX filter in there.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Margil
I went to Honda to get a oil filter. I got the wrong one, I got the one they use for civic. How bad it to be using that filter?? I found out later that I had the wrong one
Personally I'd swap it out, just looking at the size difference says something about the filtering capacity. Pull of the Civic filter, pop on a PCX, top off oil, check for leaks, drive in peace.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM

I will do that.... Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM

IMO if you're physically capable to change your own oil, but you pay someone else to do it, than you're wrong. I've worked at a dealership for awhile and the oil techs are so rushed to get them in and out that many mistakes are made. Filters have been left off completely, drain plugs left off, drain plug gaskets are not replaced, oil caps left off, oil drained and never filled back up!!!! The wrong viscosity is used, drain plugs are stripped out from over tightening....but the owner is NEVER told!! These are just a few things that I have witnessed and never just once if you can believe that.

So word of advice! Change your own oil!!! You'll be a better owner for it.

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change