S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The DIY Oil Change

Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to thread jack, but I rather not make a new thread for this.
Since I've had my S, I've used Mobile1 (Royal Purple a couple times in between), but I am wanting to change it up and try to find a better oil. Im in between the Penzzoil Platinum, Amsoil, and Chevron. I haven't seen anything about S drivers using the chevron oil, but I have always been happy with their other products. Anyone used or recommend the chevron oil?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM

On a somewhat related note, I used OEM 10W-30 oil from HandA-Accessories for my oil change. It came to something like $18 before shipping. Much cheaper than 6 qts. of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I wonder if the quality is the same though? It says "synthetic" on the bottle... I suppose that doesn't mean much, but don't they use this stuff for oil changes at the dealership?
Old 08-17-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Bump for an old thread, but just did my first oil change and wanted to thank the OP for the torque specs and fluid amount (mine came out to 5.5qt btw)

About the oil life percentage in the milage minder system:

1) Press Trip until Oil Life is displayed; release
2) Press and hold Trip for 10 seconds, display will start blinking; release
3) Press and hold Trip for 5 seconds; release

Your Oil Life will now show 100%.

btw, it's in your OWNERS MANUAL
Old 08-20-2011, 11:06 AM

I just changed my oil today with Amsoil 10W30 and OEM filter, and I ended up using 5.5 quarts and its only halfway when warmed up. Whats going on with that?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by painfulpillow
I just changed my oil today with Amsoil 10W30 and OEM filter, and I ended up using 5.5 quarts and its only halfway when warmed up. Whats going on with that?
Service capacity is 5.1 with filter but many people need 5.5 qts. The technical empty fill capacity is 5.9 qts so it could be as much as that to fill you up properly. Billman just posted in another thread the if he tilts the nose of the car up and slightly right (so more oil drains out) that it almost always takes 5.9 quarts.

The real answer is... use the dipstick and fill it to the top of the X's. Simplest way, and if you buy oil by the quart you have plenty because you want to buy 6.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
88 bucks for oil change. 60 bucks for my redline ful synth oil. 20 bucks (14 with discount) for my oil filter.

Its easier to get the oil change bolt from the TOP of the engine...if your car is dropped and you cant get a jack under there. its very possible and doable. just a fyi!

Another vote for NOT having to jack the car for an oil change. Just get the car on a level surface and crank the steering wheel over to the left. Now get down on the concrete and use a healthy ratchet extension bar to undo the oil plug. Of course a low profile oil catch pan is necessary. Easy enough to change the filter from the top. Had the oil pan underneath when taking off the filter. Use a zip lock bag around the oil filter when taking it off to minimize oil leakage.

Honda stock oil filter, crush washer, and Mobil 10W30 Synthetic. Everything back on with the correct torque settings so the next time will be easier....
Old 09-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an aem intake you can do everything from the top. There is also a quick open drain available so you never need to worry about crush washers or xtreading the drain bolt.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:30 PM

http://www.js2k.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=13

^such a great idea, i need to see if i can find something like it for my other cars.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM

Mobil1 Full Synthetic = Mobil1 Extended Performance?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:00 AM

I don't nbelieve those oil evacuators get it all, especially the sludge at the bottom of the oil pan.
I used to use one on my boat when there was no option, but with my S2K, I wouldn't go that way.

I haven't had to do an oil change yet but will probably bring it to a garage.

-jazzman

Quick Reply: The DIY Oil Change