S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY - Grease Fittings on Swaybar Brackets

Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking DIY - Grease Fittings on Swaybar Brackets

Bingo! Here's some pictures of the installation for the Zirk fittings onto my Comptech Front swaybar mounts.
Here is the original DIY I followed:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=265670&hl=

I made slight changes to the process, and honestly my mod wasn't as clean as
Gloffer's original install.
1) I had to use the Thread Tap on the washers I installed, since I couldn't fit them any other way. Either the 3/8" washer was too small, or any other washers were too big.
2) I had trouble finding a rubber washer from any hardware store(?). So, I bought the Metal/rubber combined washer mentioned in the DIY, and actually had to filet the rubber from the metal. This actually worked-out well.
3) Since I lack the experience and skill necessary to properly tap the swaybar mounts, I had some trouble making straight threads into the mounts. Therefore, when I test-fitted the grease fittings into the tapped holes, there was a tiny bit of play on one of the fittings. To resolve this issue, and to also seal the connection I decided to coat the inside of the threads on the bracket with JB Weld. JB weld is a 2-part epoxy that hardens to an almost metalic consistency. See the pictures for a visual.

This first pic is a general picture of the whole set. I still have to drill the holes into the Urethane bushings.

Here you can see a close-up of both mounts completed. The washer had to be threaded, and those rubber washers were cut from a metal/rubber grommet.

Here is the inside of the mount, showing the mouth of the fitting. Notice the fitting is sealed in there with JB weld (not hardened yet). Also, once the JB weld is cured, I will hit tha area with a Dremel to smoothen the surface.

Here's another angle from the top.

All in all I'm excited about the mod, and am eager to mount my front swaybar, regardless of the cold weather. Remember... I don't have the luxury of a heated garage like some of you lucky individuals.

Hey, please give some feedback on how you all wrapped your swaybars in Teflon tape. I'm wondering if the people who said they experienced no issues with the teflon method, did something special or out of the ordinary.
- How many layers did you use?
- What pattern did you use to place the teflon tape?
- Did you use a "special" teflon tape, other than the regular plumbing stuff?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thats awesome! great thinking!!