S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Front Whiteline swaybar

Old 05-05-2003, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As requested by some members. I had some very very little spare time but I was able to completed my long waited project over the weekend

I picked it up from the local supplier (www.completeaudio.com.au)for a very good price ...dirt cheap

Just for some background information; I have a set of Work VS SS on Falken 225/40/18 and 255/35/18. I noticed that the front has too much grip around corner and upsetted the balance of this car. This results in marked increase in oversteer. It's quite fun but not so safe in the wet
I have done a lot of research on this site. This site rocks and the people on here are so helpful Thanks everyone that has putted up with

The kits comes with everything from http://www.whiteline.com.au/
They are well known in Australia for their suspension mods. I also have a copy of the S2k CD manual and it's really helpful for this project.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:40 AM

Tools needed

1. 10mm tip
2. 14mm tip
3. 14mm spanner
4. ??? 4mm allan key
5. car jack and stands
6. reliable buddy

For a weekend hacker with lack of tools and FTA on time buddy.....the project took around 2 hours self installed. Fairly easy with a jack and 2 car stand. It might be quicker with a hoist

OEM sway bar is hollow and weight 4.7-5 kg
Whiteline bar is solid blue weighting 8kg

Allan key is needed to remove this self loosening nut.

My buddy finally turned up and we took the car for a spin. The results
1. Slightly firmer front
2. WOOOOWWW so neutral balance So much grip from the 255/35/18 around corner. The car is so hard to overteer and when it does you only neeed to straighten the steering to straighten the car.

I can now go over same corner as before with sharper steering path and 20+kph compare to before.
I LOVE THIS BAR
Old 05-05-2003, 02:18 PM

This sway bar is sensational i can't wait for my next alignment to see if I can squeeze out anymore extra grip
Just some questions for those that have other bars Mugen, Saner, Comptech etc;
-did you install both or just the front and how do you find it in term of car handling, comfort?
-does the car understeer with these stiffer bars?

Cheers
Old 05-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What model year is your car? I went ahead and ordered one of these today, but I'm concerned that it might be too stiff when matched with the '02s rear bar. The '00-'01 sway bars were larger than the '02+ bars.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:12 PM

gernby, I thought you had one
If you have not, then you will be over the moon once it's in.
My car is 00. I have the whiteline cross brace as well. The cross brace is barely noticable but this bar is sensational and I actually paid more for the crossbrace ...never mind

Currently, my car oversteer very slightly when I overpower a tad early through >90 turn. Normally (it's a lot worst oversteer) I have to overcorrect and back off the throttle slightly. The car now is so stable and level, that I can keep on the throttle, just straighten the steering wheel and the car straighten.

If you say the 02 has slightly less rigid bars then you might get and more neutral handling than mine. If you get understeer then I am sure you know wat to do

I am in love with this car again...woooohoooo
Old 05-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Crap. I would rather have a bit of oversteer than a bit of understeer. If memory serves, the '02 rear bar is between 1-2 mm smaller than the '00-'01 rear bar.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:24 PM

If you get understeer you can
1. fish for a 00 OEM rear sway bar
2. replace the rear with whiteline sway bar
3. play with your alignament.

For those with replaced sway bar, should I stick with the recommended alignment or should I try some different one? I am due for another alignment soon.
Old 06-14-2003, 10:11 AM

Helpful write-up. Nice car too, nice color. Is it really necessary to take off the front wheels to install these? I assume I would have to take off my X brace as well, right? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 03:16 PM

Front wheel yes, cross brace no
Have fun with the installation.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by honda9krpm
[B]

For those with replaced sway bar, should I stick with the recommended alignment or should I try some different one?

Quick Reply: DIY Front Whiteline swaybar