S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Engine swap? Instructions?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skool u
Does anyone have tranny/engine dolly or device to pull or slide it out once it's dropped from the car? I can't imagine that thing being very light but anyone have a device with wheels or a homemade thing? I remember coming across a guy who made his own I think.

If you're on jackstands, you can't slide it under the car with anything under it. You can use a jack to help lower it and raise it, but you have to get it onto the jack under the car. The transmission is a light one, but doing it by yourself is tricky. Two guys can drop and install it pretty easy though. FYI: the ballance point on the transmission is the seam right next to the drain bolt.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I drop everything out the bottom of the car, then use the engine hoist to lift up the front of the car enough to slide everything out.

I leave the engine attached to the sub-frame, leave all the hoses and wiring on the engine, leave the steering rack on the subframe(remember to unplug the steering rack, there are 2 connectors). You can also leave the header and shifter in, just take the shift knob, and boots loose so you dont tear any of it. Take the slave cylinder off the trans and tie it up out of the way, there are also a few grounds under there that connect from the frame to the engine and sub-frame. Also dont forget about the a/c compressor, unbolt it from the engine and tie it up out of the way.

take the kunckle loose from the lower control arm and steering rack, take the sway bar loose from the frame (leave it attached to the LCA). use the engine hoist to hold the engine/trans/subframe up. Take the drive shaft and exhaust loose then take the subframe and trans mount bolts out, then lower everything down on some rolling dollys. Then hook the engine hoist to the frame and lift the front of the car up.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Banned

you can get the dolly's from harbor freight for like 10bux, I use 2, one under the engine one under the trans
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I remember seeing something about a diy for engine install and removal on garage411.com
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres mine since we are showing lol

Name:  IMAG0661.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  108.3 KB
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

build the wooden brace thing for the subframe it makes the job much easier, if your not familliar with what im talkin about let me know and il post a picture !!
Please post a pic!

Billman, can you give a little more detail on how you dropped the transmission first--what bolts you undid to separate the engine and transmission, did you have to maneuver the engine and trans first a little to get the transmission off?

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM

Is it possible to unbolt the engine from the tranny while under the car and just pull the engine out the top while leaving the tranny in place? If so, how difficult is it to unbolt the engine from the tranny?

I'm having mixed reviews on which is easier to do, pulling the engine from underneathe or pulling it out from the top. I'm keen for either way, and I should be getting my shop manual soon.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

it takes longer to pull the trans than to drop everything...
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by s02k
Heres mine since we are showing lol

Did you remove the motor/trans complete from the top or bottom?

I just removed my tranny to remove the engine and i am dreading installing it back the way i removed it.

IF SO, please share some insight on some steps.. i have a car lot with a drive on lift. and im 6'3 and tranny lift doesnt go up to my height.. want an easier way
Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM

giving it a whirl this weekend....dreading this but with me luck ughhh

Quick Reply: DIY Engine swap? Instructions?