S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Cusco 6pt Rollcage Installation

Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillie,Jan 22 2007, 03:32 PM
Can't you install some bar pads in the places that are critical to soften the impact if ever? I would think almost any cage is safer than nothing in event of an accident in a VERT.
This is a common misunderstanding - one that I held until I spent a lot of time reading about roll structure design and implementation.

In summary:
1. Padding on roll bars will do very little to protect and un-helmeted head from impact.
2. You will move a lot more than you think in the event of even a minor impact.
3. If you look at the distribution of accident types, rollover accidents are extremely rare, however front and side impacts are common. It deosn't make sense to reduce safety in the most common accident type in order to improve safety for a rare event
4. The factory roll hoops combined with the 3-point belt with pre-tensioners is a very effective safety system.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clone,Jan 21 2007, 10:40 PM
actually, it's really not as bad as you'd think... the bars are pretty far from my head while driving... there's no way I could hit the back of my head on...
Don't kid yourself, Coral Doc is spot on with everything he said. If you look at real crash test videos you will see just how far your head can travel in an accident.

I believe it is important you accept this fact and be aware of it, and the reason I say that is because I too have a massive bar and I'm fully aware of what CoralDoc has said and I never forget when I'm driving the car without a helmet on.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Jan 23 2007, 08:09 AM
Those that have installed custom roll bars and cages in S2000s have wound up removing and/or cutting a lot of the interior.
Not all of us...

Old 01-23-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I didnt plan on tackling it myself. I will either have a master engineer, he builds shelby cobras and Gt-40s, do the work or another fabricator that I know. I think I will be able to have it done for around $500 which will benefit me. I would get the ELDA bar but the shipping would kill me.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by wazzurp,Jan 23 2007, 08:34 AM
I think I will be able to have it done for around $500 which will benefit me.
Good luck with that, I suspect you are estimating on the low side...
Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jan 23 2007, 08:23 AM
Not all of us...
True - your bar is the exception .

wazzup - In my experience, unless your fabricator is willing to work for nothing, you will easily spend twice the $500 you propose, likely more.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 AM

Could be, I guess I will see what he says the next time I am up there. What I need is to get the specs of a bar and then it would not be a problem. I need a harness bar though. ( Triple H you didnt have one did you)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by wazzurp,Jan 23 2007, 08:56 AM
Could be, I guess I will see what he says the next time I am up there. What I need is to get the specs of a bar and then it would not be a problem. I need a harness bar though. ( Triple H you didnt have one did you)
Not sure of your question

My bar is made from extremely thick, nearly 2" diameter DOM (drawn over mandrel), which is way stronger than regular steel and almost as strong as chrome moly but easier to weld.

My harness bars are already in place, but they are not in use because until I replace my seats I'm still using the OEM 3-pt belt. And for the record, finding seats that fit into this car and have some degree of comfort is like hearding cats. My harnesses will connect to the angled tubes that run from the top bar at an angle over to the lower front corner, the side to side angled supports. The way these are formed they are dead center behind the seats, the belts will clip into a massive clamp-like connector that goes around the DOM.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:09 AM

I guess specs would be the total brace height before the curve and then the total height after the bend.. Other than that the rest would not be that diffulcult to do unless the top gets in the way in which I would need the measurements for the pieces that bolt to the trunk area. As far as seats are concerned I have Sparco Pro 2000..Very comfortable but if your a bigger person you will not fit.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=wazzurp,Jan 23 2007, 10:09 AM] I guess specs would be the total brace height before the curve and then the total height after the bend..

Quick Reply: DIY: Cusco 6pt Rollcage Installation