S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Convertible Top Patch - FINALLY POSTED WITH PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS

Old 03-22-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by notaloafer
Originally Posted by Yaupon' timestamp='1426806746' post='23547096
Slowcrash
It depends on the material you use. If you know someone with a new top see if you can use their old top as patch material. Or get some from Honda.

Good point!
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the vinyl you use - buying some at a fabric store works equally well, and is far cheaper. Again this method is for patching from the inside - I'd imagine it would work for fairly large tears too. You won't notice anything from the exterior anyways, so there isn't much benefit using the original top material for the patch.
Hoping to try this today. Would the (very shiny) marine vinyl from Jo Ann's work? I was just expecting it to look more like the vinyl coated canvas our tops are made off so I backed off from buying it. It's cloth like on one side, and lighter in color, just like yours seems. I'm assuming is pretty standard material. Should I get that kind?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my marine vinyl from the same store, and it worked fine. I'd assume your store there carries the same stuff - I recall it being a bit shiny too. Don't forget to sand it a little bit before applying the glue - helps give it texture to adhere to.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 PM

Tonight's attempt^ (not sure why the post rotates it)

I have another tear forming a little lower, as well, and I think that harder plastic is to blame. I patched it but noticed that it's a whole other layer and material on top afterwards so it's a little weird now. Don't know if it'll help it at all. But the big guy is patched nicely! We'll see how it holds up for me in 3-4 days. I'll try to remember to update.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Gonna give this a go, as well.

To the guys who will try this, I suggest rounding your corners on patch. Less likely to begin to peel up this way.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by PdxPartsCo
Gonna give this a go, as well.

To the guys who will try this, I suggest rounding your corners on patch. Less likely to begin to peel up this way.
X2

Don't give the bar a chance to pry underneath!

Also it doesn't really peel up, more like it tears up. Don't want the bar to rip even a bigger hole in your top!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM

[media]https://youtu.be/dcX5sL9DOUA[/media]

Many thanks to notaloafer for this DIY!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Temawee
[media]https://youtu.be/dcX5sL9DOUA[/media]

Many thanks to notaloafer for this DIY!
SWEET dude! Looking good. I know that the main problem I had with other patching methods was the hot summer weather causing the glue to let loose. With this method though, the hotter it gets, the more it makes the glue set in.

I also noticed the culprit of the original tear - it wasn't my bar in general, rather one of the hinges pressing in. I was able to figure it out by putting putty on the patch and seeing where it left reminents on the metal parts.

I'll post up some info on what to do with the hinge, since I can see it marring my patch up already. Doesn't help either that the patch is so thick that it's pressing into the metal hinge more now too.

I figure there's probably a way I can glue a pad on the hinge to keep it from marring the patch as badly. Or just get out the file / sandpaper and go to town on it.

I can see in your video that there's a little dimple in the middle of your patch - I'm betting you have the same hinge problem as me too.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Question, what does this look like from the outside?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
Question, what does this look like from the outside?
You can't see anything from the outside so long as your initial tear wasn't severe.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 AM

Can you use this on the outside as well? I have a small tear that is hard to get to from the inside.

Quick Reply: DIY: Convertible Top Patch - FINALLY POSTED WITH PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS