S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Convertible Top Patch - FINALLY POSTED WITH PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS

Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally posted! Please let me know if I need to make any changes to my instructions, as this is my first DIY. Also any of you out there who actually use this, I'd love feedback on how I might improve the DIY.

The DIY is edited into the first post.

Good luck and happy patching!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

good job, but why is this in the under the hood section?
Old 03-17-2015, 09:43 AM

That may be a good point... if a MOD wants to move it, by all means go for it! My bad.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up and great pictures...thanks for taking the time to share. Just thinking out loud, do you think before the patch is applied that a light coat of black spray paint to the fabric side of the patch, i.e., the white side that shows would interfere with the chemical reaction of the adhesive? If it wouldn't, then the black spray coated patch [side that shows] might blend in more with the original top and be less noticeable. Just a thought...
Old 03-18-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

It depends on the material you use. If you know someone with a new top see if you can use their old top as patch material. Or get some from Honda.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I think uth is a good place for this, as most who are true DIYers come here first.

Great job man going to try in on a top I have here.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Nice write-up and great pictures...thanks for taking the time to share. Just thinking out loud, do you think before the patch is applied that a light coat of black spray paint to the fabric side of the patch, i.e., the white side that shows would interfere with the chemical reaction of the adhesive? If it wouldn't, then the black spray coated patch [side that shows] might blend in more with the original top and be less noticeable. Just a thought...
I doubt it would interfere as long as you made sure not to get any of the paint on the vinyl side. If you want to be entirely sure, you could apply the patch and then spray paint it once it's already adhered.
The following users liked this post:
Halfassjack (07-08-2019)
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I think uth is a good place for this, as most who are true DIYers come here first.

Great job man going to try in on a top I have here.
Sweet man. Let me know how it goes! I'd imagine you could use this methodology on fairly large tears so long as you made the patch big enough.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slowcrash
It depends on the material you use. If you know someone with a new top see if you can use their old top as patch material. Or get some from Honda.

Good point!
Old 03-22-2015, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Slowcrash

Good point!
Honestly I wouldn't worry about the vinyl you use - buying some at a fabric store works equally well, and is far cheaper. Again this method is for patching from the inside - I'd imagine it would work for fairly large tears too. You won't notice anything from the exterior anyways, so there isn't much benefit using the original top material for the patch.

Quick Reply: DIY: Convertible Top Patch - FINALLY POSTED WITH PICTURES AND INSTRUCTIONS