S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass

Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW, I can't believe somebody wants to argue this. I for one want to do this mod, because I hate the fact the clutch needs to be pushed in. I never had a car that needed this until I bought my DC5R in Japan and there it was. It's just a safety feature because obviously there are a lot of morons behind the wheel and in life in general. All my previous Hondas in Japan this was not necessary. Then I got to Guam and bought my Snisen and again the damn clutch needed to be pressed in, which I knew was going to be the case as it was made for the North American market, you know the place that loves law suits generated by the idiots that have UNCOMMON sense (yes I say uncommon, because nowadays it seems what is common is ignorance).

So to say you are arguing for the little people that don't understand in my book falls into ignorance, why, because this mod will not hurt anything and for how many years was this not necessary, even in the good ole US, think about that some, it should then be quite obvious why this was done. LAWYERS and stupid people or some overbearing I need to protect the world type that is always minding everyone else's business but their own.

If in turn it might possibly help save wear and tear where is the foul? If it doesn't change anything in the wear and tear department, again where is the foul? Some people really are good little sheep and just like to fall in line and accept everything as it is in regards to all the bullshit safety margins that have been deemed necessary thanks again to people that have no business driving and the multitude of lawyers who love the mass of ignorance roaming around.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:48 PM

That crankwalking picture is now my desktop background. Thank you so much LOL
Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Emotions aside...

The OP has made it clear from the start that this mod is not for everyone and that there are risks involved. I think it's ideas like this that make online forums a great place to learn new (and even old!) things. I, for one, will not do the mod but am grateful for the OP's creativity and insight.

The clutch switch IS a good idea. The lawsuits aside, car manufacturers must be able to cater to drivers of varying skills. Not all idiots are created equal but let's face it: all idiots have the privilege to drive.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another question that i just thought of... i know i've read it happens whether its stock or not but thought i'd ask before someone else jumps in and comes to a conclusion...

will it make a big difference for stock drivetrain cars?? or is this only for the people with aftermarket clutch/pp/flywheel??
Old 08-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by innovation,Aug 7 2008, 04:36 PM
will it make a big difference for stock drivetrain cars?? or is this only for the people with aftermarket clutch/pp/flywheel??
I think this was answered earlier but it should be beneficial whether the car is running a stock pressure plate or aftermarket. It's just that with a higher spring force pressure plate, the thrust on the unlubricated thrust surfaces is even higher-- therefore the wear induced by the thrust force on the unlubricated surface would be higher as well.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the DIY. I just did it with your inline switch idea. no more roommates taking off with my car as a joke.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:06 PM

spectacle,

Just something to think about. When you step on the clutch, the clutch fork exerts a force on the throwout bearing. That force pushes (or perhaps pulls) on the pressure plate, which is rigidly bolted to the flywheel and crankshaft.

Now, how is that force reacted? What does the crankshaft push on? It pushes on the block, through the thrust bearing (item 10 in 03ap1's post).
Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dhayner,Aug 7 2008, 06:06 PM
spectacle,

Just something to think about. When you step on the clutch, the clutch fork exerts a force on the throwout bearing. That force pushes (or perhaps pulls) on the pressure plate, which is rigidly bolted to the flywheel and crankshaft.

Now, how is that force reacted? What does the crankshaft push on? It pushes on the block, through the thrust bearing (item 10 in 03ap1's post).
Is the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel/crankshaft? That cannot be.

When the clutch pedal is depressed (i.e. disengaged), the throwout bearing pushes the diaphragm spring which then causes the pressure plate to pull AWAY from the clutch disc (and the flywheel).

Let me know if I am mistaken. I don't know if the S2K's clutch system is different but there is a nice animation of a typical clutch system in howstuffworks.com.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Yes the PP is bolted to the flywheel. The flywheel is bolted to the crank.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 7 2008, 10:19 PM
Is the pressure plate bolted to the flywheel/crankshaft? That cannot be.

When the clutch pedal is depressed (i.e. disengaged), the throwout bearing pushes the diaphragm spring which then causes the pressure plate to pull AWAY from the clutch disc (and the flywheel).

Let me know if I am mistaken. I don't know if the S2K's clutch system is different but there is a nice animation of a typical clutch system in howstuffworks.com.
its kinda like brakes...

the brakes are bolted to the frame, and so is the hub. the hub allows the disk to turn, but there has to be something attached somewhere to allow for pressure to be exerted and that has to be fixed to the same thing as the hub....

brake pads and rotors are quite a bit like clutch plates and flywheels. same basic principle. ish....

hope that helps to clear stuff up

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass