S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass

Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The mod stated in this thread is FREE, and if its a solution of a possible issue then WHY the hell not do it.

Spectacle, I hate to break it to ya but the S2000 isnt the only car which can run the risk of crank walk when using a High load Pressure Plate.

For Toyota Supra owners its a pretty popular mod to remove the clutch interlock switch for the same reason. Pressing the clutch down when starting the car with a High load PP might cause wear on the crank.

I dont know about you but that "might" is enough of a reason to spice a few wires and possibly avoid an issue. Besides, the only reason the interlock switch exsists in the first place is for good ol idiots who try to start the car in gear.

************** check this out*********

I am going to be installing a remote start system (6speed safe, python 872), which will allow me to start the car by remote WITHOUT bypassing the oem clutch interlock system. So the car will ALWAYS have to started with the clutch pressed when starting with the key, but Not with the remote start.

I always run the car 1 min before i drive so it'll be easy for me to start the car by remote just before hopping in and avoid any wear on the crank due to my ACT HDSS clutch kit. Simple solution for me since i am a car audio installer.

Its just a little bit of insurance.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be doing this mod this weekend.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM

^ thats your good ol' DSM reliablity right there

(*edit: For those that down know: That crank in the photo is from an early 2nd gen eclipse 4g63 which had a 50% chance of Crank Walk due to faulty oil jets. That pic has been on the internet Forever. Its a classic!)
Old 08-07-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spectacle: I noted your sig, and sincerely hope that you don
Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

While you're at it, just stop using the clutch all together. That ought to ensure the crank lasts longer.

Its amazing what people will buy into despite their being any actual proof. I bet all you doing this think there are WMD's in Iraq too.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 AM

You obviously dont get it. Do we have to draw you a diagram drawn in MS paint?

The wear ONLY happens when the engine is stone cold and you crank it with the clutch pressed. How freaking difficult is that to understand.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM

^ i was thinking about it, but cant upload pics from work... also, realized, we have probably reached his intelectual capacity.

if we had to absolutely prove everything in life, and not understand that a well designed model can predict accurately, wholy would our lives be different.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Aug 7 2008, 02:05 PM
While you're at it, just stop using the clutch all together. That ought to ensure the crank lasts longer.

Its amazing what people will buy into despite their being any actual proof. I bet all you doing this think there are WMD's in Iraq too.
There was a time when the vast majority of the people in the world thought the Earth was flat and they ridiculed those who thought the world was round. Look how that turned out. I wonder what camp your Ancestors fell under, my money is on flat ...

Personally, I don't need direct proof. The evidence presented, to me, makes sense and is enough for me to do this VERY SIMPLE MOD. But more importantly for me, I like the idea of not having to press in the clutch in order to start the car. Ever since I learned to drive manual it never made sense to me. I was tought to always start the car in neutral. Why would I need to press in the clutch?

After the mod I will have a peace of mind that I won't be damaging my car at start up because of my ACT PP (whether the damage really occurs or not), and the conveniece of not pushing in the clutch at start up. The convenience aspect of it is kinda like the mod that allows you to put the top up or down while still moving. Unnecessary? Sure, but kinda cool none the less.

Thank you slipstream for this thread. Very cool
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Interested in getting some more info as this is something that would help me.

Nice writeup though, very easy to follow.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass