S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Aug 6 2008, 06:57 PM
Linked to FAQ.

Thanks for the write-up
My pleasure Slows2k.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I'll play your silly little quote game.

[QUOTE=slipstream444,Aug 6 2008, 07:45 PM]Sorry - I can't explain it any easier.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Aug 6 2008, 08:57 PM
Ok, I'll play your silly little quote game.

You can't break it down anymore because it flat out doesn't make any sense.

Like I said, I don't need evidence. You're doing all the convincing here. I'm posting for the simple fact that I hate for people to suggest phantom mods like this crapola you have posted up.

You are right, it isn't your job. Good thing, because you failed miserably.

Never said it was, I was making an analogy oh mighty one. Guess that one went over your head.

HOLY SHIT! ONE GUY posted that he had a problem that MIGHT have been connected to this blasphemy you've suggested and that's your proof? Out of the countless S2000 owners on this site and beyond with aftermarket pressure plates on their cars that have been running them for YEARS all you've got is ONE? This car has been in production since 2000 and all you've got is ONE??? Oh but wait, you've got EXPERTS! Since when is their word taken over real life experience like me and the rest of us (you included) that have aftermarket PP's. Come on, you can do better than this!
You continue to complain that you just don't understand the subject matter - but challenge the information that's been graciously provided. That just tells me you're arguing for argument's sake.

You can either try and learn more about the subject and research other sources to resolve your state of confusion, or continue to stew. I could care less either way - but take the non-constructive BS somewhere else please.
Ultimately, if you still don't understand the subject matter, perhaps you should avoid the technical discussions in this forum.

Oh but wait, you've got EXPERTS! Since when is their word taken over real life experience like me and the rest of us (you included) that have aftermarket PP's. Come on, you can do better than this!
Let's look at this comment: it sounds like you're telling me that I should listen to the "real life experiences" of an individual who obviously has absolutely no clue (that's you) OVER the word of industry experts that have built countless Honda engines - in the case of Larry at Endyne - OVER 3 DECADES of experience with Honda products alone (not to mention his decades of race experience)?!?!? Are you for real?
You can't even grasp the most basic of concepts and you expect folks on this site to "trust" your experiences over that of proven experts? Talk about believing in your own legend - arrogant and dim, never a good combination. YIKES!
BTW - don't try and group me in with you. I'm sure the other positive contributors wouldn't appreciate being used in that manner either.

You refuse to educate yourself and continue to demand to be accommodated. That's not anyone
Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, so Slipstream does a write up on an optional mod to circumvent a 'safety feature'. A safety feature that the rest of the world deems unnecessary.

And Spectacle is kicking up a fuss?

Spectacle - If you don't think it's necessary, don't do it. Idiot friendly safety features like this were designed with people like you in mind.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 AM

Oh I'm sorry, sense the great infallible LARRY said to do it, empirical evidence goes out the window. So if Larry tells you to put 87 in your tank because the car can run on it, I guess you'll do that too.

You're damn right I'm making a fuss, because I hate seeing unnecessary "ideas" like this spreading. And contrary to this guy's belief, I know exactly how this whole thing works and what he's trying to prevent. I asked to explain over again to see his evidence of a problem beyond "this expert told me to do it". Newsflash, the creators of the Turbonator are experts too (in someone mind) and I don't see one of those in your car.

The bottom line is this "mod" does about as much to save wear and tear on your motor as driving your car cold before it reaches operating temp (same basis on lubrication). How many people get in their car and go every morning and how many of those people have toasted motors? You tell me.

There are a lot of naive people on this board and many others that do things to their car because someone else suggested it. Some of those people are going to be on the fence about doing something like this but may feel obligated because you state this can help "save wear and tear". It is for those people I am arguing for. That's my contribution.

Show us the mounds of people with walked cranks that start their cars with aftermarket PP's and the clutch depressed and I'll retract all my statements. Until you do, all you've got is a theory and Larry "the engine building God" 's word. That my friend, simply isn't enough.

To quote a favorite rapper of mine - "We don't believe you, you need more people"
Old 08-07-2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH,Aug 6 2008, 02:20 AM
Why are you so concerned on the thrust bearings? There has been no reported pre-mature failures that I've heard of. What about all the other metal/metal surfaces that are dry during startup? rod bearing, main bearings, cam journals, cylinders, etc.

Also do you have data that shows any significant risk mitigation by cranking with and without the force from the PP ?
I guess I'm not the only one that hasn't "done his research". Why don't take a stab at his questions?

Looks like I'm not alone, but you are. Nope, you've got Larry. Larry and no evidence. LOL I love it!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't understand why you guys have to be so aggressive in your disagreement. If you feel this "mod" is a waste of time or will lead to more wear and tear, then don't do it. If you are arguing to help other members on this board from damaging their car, (if this is what you believe will happen), then post up some information that explains your rationale. Arguing back and forth with no evidence solves nothing. (As YOU stated to Slipstream.)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do many little things to my car both when i service it and when i drive it, that im sure is impossible to prove that it has any benefit.

Such as...

I never leave my clutch pressed in at a light - just a pet peeve and it will wear out the throwout bearing

Try never to take my car on small trips, or if i need to move it around the garage I usually just push it or roll it, if i run it I want to get it to up operating temp

torque most every bolt when i do oil changes, install etc, if i can find the trq spec it gets torqued.

Never run my car hard when its cold (not that it gets too cold here in AZ, but...when i lived up north).

Always shut the A/C off before i turn the car off, so i dont start the car with the A/C compressor running

any many other little things - on any car i drive

My point is that there are so many people out there that drive all different kinds of cars that flog them, and might not be mindful of the little things that 'hurt' them. Why? because Honda, and other manufactures build their cars tough enough to withstand people who arent mechanically inclined and dont really understand what goes on in a cars drivetrain. Some people start their cars in gear, drop the clutch and are off to the races, others feather the clutch when they are sitting on a hill....I'm amazed that cars last as long as they do with some people, both driving them and maintaining them. My friend said she needed an oil change...I asked her when the last time she did it and said "I dunno, my dad did it when we bought the car a year and a half ago!".... Cars are tougher than we think sometimes

If you dont do slipstreams mod will your car blow up tomorrow? no...
Will it have an engine failure in the next year? probably not

But its something I'll probably do to my car next time I'm in a project mood
Because I understand it...it makes sense, and even though its small and most automakers have considered the wear it causes and are 'ok' with it as a safety trade off, it still has merit.

If you dont wanna do it, dont post. Its laughable that it seems to be your 'mission' to inform people otherwise.

If you disagree with it, post...... just not 10 times

Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Aug 7 2008, 06:36 AM
I guess I'm not the only one that hasn't "done his research". Why don't take a stab at his questions?

Looks like I'm not alone, but you are. Nope, you've got Larry. Larry and no evidence. LOL I love it!
I did - and if you read his second post, you'll see he actually read and understood my rebuttal and stated "good point". That shows me that while there were others that may have been a little skeptical about this mod and/or had questions about what was posted - they were open enough to actually listen to what others had to say, and reasonable enough to think through the logic with the amplifying information provided.
You on the other hand just want to be the run of the mill naysayer - you just want to argue, don't listen to reason, and are obviously not interested in facts - just arguing a point - no matter how wrong your position is. Your screen name is an accurate representation of your attitude .

Here's the FACTS: starting your car without the clutch pushed in (in neutral of course - that's for you spectacle) does reduce wear and the possibility of crank walk - especially if you have a higher sprung PP; placing your car in neutral and idling with the clutch pedal out will do the same.

Oh I'm sorry, sense the great infallible LARRY said to do it, empirical evidence goes out the window.

There is no person on the planet that's infallible - including myself or "the Old One" at Endyne for that matter. But I can assure you his advice with regard to Hondas and automotive engineering is not an accident. It's NOT based on guesses, hunches, or random fanciful thinking - IT IS however based on REAL experience and data gathered over decades, REAL empirical data gathered from research in the lab, in the garage, on the road, and on the track.
http://www.theoldone.com/
So please tell me: where is this empirical evidence you're referring to?

I'm not telling you (or anyone else for that matter) what to do with your car and this mod essentially costs NOTHING (the piece of wire may cost you a few pennies) and takes maybe 15 minutes to do. I'm not gaining anything by posting this mod either. The only danger involved with this mod is to those who shouldn't be driving this car in the first place.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Interlock Switch Bypass