S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY CAI idea

Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your idea sound eerily like a forced induction system....super or turbo charger. The problem is that if the fan is forcing air into the cylinders, you need something to control the PSI. You want the fan running harder at full throttle, and not much at idle. Sounds like a supercharger to me.

I just replaced the intake with INJEN one. It is just a pipe that runs from the intake manifold to the passenger side air vent in the bumper (just as you described). As far as hydrolocking....I too am in FL and got pounded by Dennis. I am going to install a bypass valve as soon as I can figure out how. This supposedly takes care of the water issue (as it allows the intake to drain). I am also going to need to fashing an umbrella for the filter (or so I am told).

John
Old 07-22-2005, 03:36 PM

Yes, that is how a supercharger or turbocharger works, but this is different. It will be pumping enough air in to satisfy the engine at high rpms, but it will also be giving the engine a slight boost at low rpms. The whole idea here is to give better off-the-line power. The top end is fine. Super and turbochargers have to spool up to get results and actually hurt take-off power because of the added resistance put on the engine. My idea is to provide boost at low rpms w/o any strain on the engine, thereby, increasing take-off power while leaving the high revving power alone. My idea might give a slight boost to top end also, just because the engine might be able to breath better. All this assumes that the easier it is for the engine to breathe, the more power you will get. I know that having cooler air will definetly help out. I also think just having the 2 pipes w/o a fan will be very benificial. It will be like running w/o an airbox lid except that it will be pulling in cold air instead of hot engine air. I have a friend that used to work for a metal fabrication company. I'm hoping he can help me out. I think it'd be awesome to have aluminum piping custom shaped to the exact size of the faux air vents tapering into a cylinder and gently bending into the underside of the OEM airbox. The car would still look stock, but I think the performance would be pleasingly enhanced. Tell me what you guys think.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:00 AM

Your idea is FI,

it will cost a lot
it has been done before
it has potential to destroy your engine
Old 07-23-2005, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the constructive critisizm(sarcastic). I'm looking for technical reasons why it won't work. Physics stuff. Just don't tell me it's stupid. That just makes you look ignorant. I realize I don't know it all (unlike yourself), and I'm here trying to learn something.

Do you have a link to where someone has tried this before?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:53 PM

Hey if you are bent on pursing this electronic forced induction idea, there are people running actually running these setups. I personally think it's a waste of time, something along the lines of that Tornado thing that came out a couple years back. Do you need any technical reasons/advice on some idea that is far from practical, why bother? Anyway here is a link you might be interested in.

http://www.rse.co.uk/turbozet.htm
Old 07-24-2005, 01:03 AM

i already gave you the technical reasons. do what you like im just trying to save you money and heartache.

btw i didnt say it was stupid or you were stupid, although at this point i may be so inclined.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 AM

What does FI mean?
Old 07-24-2005, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by jason4207,Jul 22 2005, 03:36 PM
I also think just having the 2 pipes w/o a fan will be very benificial. It will be like running w/o an airbox lid except that it will be pulling in cold air instead of hot engine air. I have a friend that used to work for a metal fabrication company. I'm hoping he can help me out. I think it'd be awesome to have aluminum piping custom shaped to the exact size of the faux air vents tapering into a cylinder and gently bending into the underside of the OEM airbox. The car would still look stock, but I think the performance would be pleasingly enhanced. Tell me what you guys think.
I have already pretty much given up un the electric fan part (see quote). Now I'm just curious about the effects of having 2 custom pipes drawing in cold air. You'd have the advantage of having a short intake pipe (at least b/n the filter & throttle body), and the ability to draw in cold air. Plus, the air path would be less restrictive if the pipes were big enough.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:53 AM

actually the air path is not necesarilly less restrictive if the pipes are bigger. Often reducing overall inner diameter actually increases the flow and velocity of air.

there is a lot to this idea, and no for an effecient system to be built a lot of research needs to be done by you, which is what i reccomend you do, instead of just asking opinions based on your current whim.

FI- is forced induction, ie super/turbo chargers.

BUT - i think that some sort of ram setup would work well, and possibly be able to obtain positive manifold pressure at speed, which is really the best that you can hope for without FI.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the knowledge. Interacting in this forum is a huge part of the research that I do for my S2000. There a a lot of experts in many different fields here from what I can gather. I've got a B.S. in Computer Engineering, so I've got an area of expertise, but it doesn't specifically apply to the S2K.

I also want to apologize. Earlier you said my idea was FI. I thought you were saying it was F**king Ignorant! My bad. Ignorance on my part. That is why I took a strong tone w/ you. Once again, I'm sorry.

I just put in a drop-in K&N air filter yesterday. The old filter came w/ the car when I bought it last month and was very dirty. I'm very happy w/ the results. I am planning on running this way for a while. When and if I do implement this ram-air design it will be a ways in the future. I'm just in the planning stage right now; asking questions, sketching ideas, asking opinions, doing research. I've already changed the overall design of my idea just from the few posts here and from talking w/ some friends. Like you said, I still have to do a lot of research before even thinking of implementing this idea. I'm not going to start cutting on a whim.