S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Brake Ducting

Old 06-04-2001, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates from those who posted in this topic?

Has King made any progress on a kit?

Any pictures from the various installs?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 06-04-2001, 12:45 PM

when I was at laguna seca last week, there was a black S2000 (not on the board I think) that used the metal dryer ducting to make his front brake ducts. It was by no means pretty, but he said they work. He also had hoosiers and was running in the "Green" (ie, intermediate) group so I take it he at least sort of knows what he is doing.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:49 PM

If 'King' has made a kit I would be interested to know about it. Can some one please let me know?!
Thanks
Old 06-04-2001, 03:49 PM
Banned

There is no kit from King. They have all the materials and just do the job each time a car comes in.

I will try to get pics this weekend.
Old 06-04-2001, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of the demand, there are a couple of companies working on duct kit solutions now. I lent my car to one for a prototype fit. The most attractive option looks like it won't involve cutting and should be applicable to the front and rear. That's all I can say for now as I'm under NDA (the price of early info), but pricing looks reasonable - we'll see what it looks like when they actually go to production. I hope to have an early set on my car in time for a track event or two. I've already done some temp testing on the stock rotors (temp sensitive paint), but we've had to test on public roads, which means it is difficult to get real heat soak. We'll see if the kit provides any measurable improvement.

UL
Old 06-04-2001, 06:05 PM

Hmmm, seeing as Sullivan, WI is a pretty long drive from Seattle, WA, I guess I'll wait and see if the kit UL is talking about comes out; it sounds promising.

Thanks all,

Ted
Old 06-04-2001, 10:48 PM

There is a kit coming from King and it should be available shortly. I'm very interested in the rear ducting kit UL mentioned though.
Old 06-06-2001, 07:07 AM

Testomonial...ZSR31's ducts look great, functional, and relatively easy to install. Judging from his pics, and his history of doing things right, CDelena's are great too.
I believe screen is a good idea but not a requirement. The worry is not impact damage to the rotor but unwanted accumulation of debris in the hose (bugs, grass, pebbles and track rubber bits).

Interesting story: While at an SCCA club race a few years ago at Roebling Road in GA I watched a guy in an ITB Rabbit extract a set of mangled car keys that were lodged between his brake duct and rotor! The Rabbit had screens covering the ducts but the keys punched right through. It was later discovered that a fellow competitor had left his tow vehicle keys lying on the roof of his race car as he went on track for a practice session. The keys looked like they had been run over several times before the Rabbit ate them. No damage to the car, other than the hole in the screen.
Old 06-08-2001, 09:51 AM

Has anyone posted pictures of a King duct installation?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 06-18-2001, 12:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
...The most attractive option looks like it won't involve cutting and should be applicable to the front and rear. That's all I can say for now as I'm under NDA (the price of early info), but pricing looks reasonable - we'll see what it looks like when they actually go to production. I hope to have an early set on my car in time for a track event or two...
UL
[/QUOTE

Hey UL

What's the ETA on these ducts?

Quick Reply: DIY Brake Ducting